Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tracker

Options
  • 09-11-2021 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody recommend where I could have a good quality tracker installed in my car.

Professional installation. Willing to travel anywhere in the country.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We use Transpoco in Dublin a good bit. Doesn’t cost a lot to install them but there is a monthly cost for sim and platform that is obviously costing more than you having a cheap sim on board and using a DIY generic tracker.

They have fitters around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

As backup, if you have an iphone, buy an airtag for about 40 euro. It only works within Bluetooth range of a phone, but any iphone owned by anybody else, so the chances of someone picking it up after car is stolen is high. There are no monthly fees, no wires to install, no battery to go flat. (It can go flat but does not need charging) Stick it into a seat etc. and you have a cheap tracker for years. It's ideal for trailers, lawnmowers, quads etc.

Naturally a professional tracker may be better, but if car is high value they may use gps and phone blockers until car is sealed in a container, with battery disconnected. Thieves often drag car onto low loader or steal keys then car.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus one on the airtag notion of ZG's. Cheap as chips, easy to hide, self contained, battery lasts about a year(and cheap and easy to replace) and with a remarkable amount of coverage. I've tested one and let's just say Apple's accountants must be well happy with the number of their phones out there in the wild that pinged it. The only problem is that if it's out of range from the owner's phone for a while it starts beeping, as a for good reason precaution against stalkers and the like. That said you can disconnect the little speaker(instructions on the interwebs), so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It shows on iPhones and they are making an Andriod app to show it. Not much use if it's easily detectable with a device everyone carries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's not how it works. It's "invisible" to everyone unless you report the tag as missing, otherwise it doesn't register except to the owner. So don't report it missing and the scumbags won't see it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Are the inbuilt type trackers any use? I can locate my car on my Ford app so just wondering if there is any need for a proper tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Well, not quite, because if you're traveling with an AirTag that isn't registered to your phone, you'll get a message to say that there's an unregistered AirTag with you. This is separate to it being reported as missing. It's to prevent people secretly tracking other people.

I've an AirTag on my car's keys. If my wife takes the car, she'll get notified about the AirTag. Now, she can disable that notification permanently, so it only happens once and it won't annoy her every time she takes the car, but I can't disable the feature for anyone on the AirTag itself.

So if someone with an iPhone did take a car with an AirTag in it, at some point they would be notified that there's a AirTag travelling with them. They wouldn't be able to ping the AirTag to find it's exact location, though. So if it was well hidden (and like you say, had the speaker disabled), all they'd know was that there was a tag somewhere in the car.

Actually, they can ping the tag to find it and disable it. Details here:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/05/12/airtag-tracking-tutorial/

Oh I hear you G, however the relevant bit is

1) You can also hit the ”Play Sound” option if you don’t know where the AirTag is located and 2) Basically, you’ll be instructed to reset the AirTag to its factory by removing its battery

If you can't find it because it the speaker is removed(a two minute job), then you can't remove the battery and disable it. There's also a delay in when it alerts someone. That's if they have an iphone, on android good luck. It's certainly not foolproof and it could be better, but for the low cost of entry it's worth a look. Hide a few of them in a car and tracking them all down won't be easy for the scum. Proper trackers can be too easy to bypass depending on the quality of install and the signal can be variable too. The old trick of parking a car in underground car parks is something the scum do. Leave it for a day or so and see if anyone shows up to claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

https://www.facebook.com/daverobinson99 What car have you got ? I've used Dave several times and he's a serious installer with great products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Not really. If they intend stealing the car, and they know that make or model car comes with a tracker (like most 2021 cars due to ecall regulation's, they typically know how to disable tracking. I heard of Irish teslas and Nissan leafs that were stolen, they had an inbuilt tracking service which stopped working as soon as cars were stolen. Some of these guys are professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Cheers yeah I thought that might be the case, the inbuilt ones are probably all fitted in the same place so pretty simple to find

Advertisement