Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would NI Unionists do if Scotland left the union?

Options
  • 10-11-2021 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

In the hypothetical, but reasonably likely scenario that Scotland votes to leave the union, what happens to the militancy of unionists then? How would they react? And would their actions be different if Scotland was/ was not independent whilst Ireland was reunified?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭beachhead

Maybe the majority of them will depart Northern Ireland to be with and support their brethren

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They could join Scotland and look to rejoin the eu

They would do very little, just get on with things id imagine. They are still all Scottish living among a majority of other Scots. They do not have the same history as Northern Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What Unionists is the OP talking about?

The Unionists as in the United Kingdom Unionists living in Scotland, or the Unionists in NI that march in Orange sashes in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

Probably be outraged.

I think they're outraged today is Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Short term it'd probably cause more anger and bad behaviour but it would be the death of much of their ideology in the long term.

When you get stuff like that politician ranting about the queen being Anglican and not Presbyterian, you see that for many their loyalty is to Scottish Presbyterianism, not to the crown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It has long been said that the NI Unionists are more loyal to the half-crown than the Crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They didn't seem too impressed with the Presbyterian pastor from the Isles who said something to the effect that Gaelic was the language of God, so are selective even in that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very easy to declare that someone isn't a True Scotsman (apt in this case) of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I doubt if Unionists with a capital U would change very much if Scotland left the UK.

You must surely know by now that unionists that live in Northern Ireland are first & foremost, Irishmen and Irishwomen. They're not Scottish, they've been here for centuries and have every bit as much right to live on this island as you or I. And will remain here.

The best hope for the future is to build close relationships between all the people of this island and seek to construct a new state that will respect all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I'd say if Scotland left the UK then the UK would be more keen to hold on to NI, may move some of the naval bases there for access to the North Atlantic. Although they would probably get to keep these bases in any deal they do with Scotland post independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It would create a major crisis of identity within unionism because Scotland is the region of the UK that they are closest to, not just geographically but also culturally. Scotland would also likely have the eventual goal of EU membership, raising the uncomfortable scenario for unionists of the ROI and Scotland ultimately together in one union, while NI would be left an awkward satellite of England and Wales outside of it. We have had it established that if NI votes for reunification, it will immediately enter the EU without any waiting period required. That becomes an even more enticing prospect if the above scenario takes place.

How would unionist politicians react to Scotland leaving? I suspect by trying to forge closer ties with England and Wales, and talking up the importance of this relationship. You would hear a lot of commentary about how it is now incumbent upon NI unionism to step up and fill the void left by Scotland. There would for sure be elements of the Tory party that would encourage this talk too. Would it carry much weight with the ordinary people of England and Wales? I doubt it. I suspect Scotland departing would be much more likely to trigger a public conversation within England and Wales as to what sort of future these nations would now need. Would people want to continue waving union jack flags if Scotland has walked away? I suspect the English and Welsh flags would become much more prominent. And that's a nightmare scenario for NI unionists because if England and Wales were to become more introspective, that is a debate that NI unionists cannot be part of. That would lead to increasing numbers of unaligned voters in NI - neither unionist nor nationalist - having to ask themselves whether it would make sense logically to be a core part of one nation, and also the EU, or to be a third wheel of a UK rapidly travelling in different directions.

Add into this uncertain future the prospect of Charles ascending the throne at some stage, and the possible consequence of many Commonwealth countries (including Scotland perhaps?) deciding to respectfully decline being represented by him, which could lead to the status of the monarchy waning within these islands and abroad, which would add even more uncertainty to the traditional unionist outlook in NI.

This decade that we're in has the potential of being massively destablising for NI unionists, and I'm not sure the majority of unionists appreciate this. They are focusing on the protocol, and ignoring the much more serious shifts taking place. What history tells us is if it does all indeed unravel, it could unravel very quickly.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not a chance in hell they would move naval bases to NI, the time and investment required would be idiotic to do when the likelihood of a border poll getting called only gets higher in the case of scotland leaving

Advertisement