Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Horse Slapper

Options
  • 10-11-2021 12:08am

Woman caught giving a horse a kick followed by a number of slaps to the mouth.

she was a “respected” member of the UK Pony club until this video circulated- now she’s public enemy No 1.

So I’ve looked at the video and what strikes me, is that this sort of behaviour toward the horse was done in full view of the public and her horsey buddies- so it doesn’t feel like this sort of treatment is out of the ordinary. Terrible to watch, yes. But, for those horsey set people who hunt etc out there, of which I’m not one, would you care to share your experiences?

Is this be a common way horses are treated or would this sort of behaviour be condemned by most of the hunting horsey set?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10181911/Huntswoman-caught-kicking-horse-goes-hiding-death-threats.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭maik3n

hehe, for a moment there, I thought the title was a double entendre or something.

Shocked and chagrined to see what the actual story is here.

There is another video on that link of an older stable hand I think, kicking another horse. I'd like to think such an incident is rare but similar to the greyhound industry, there is probably a lot going on behind closed doors that we don't know about. 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Happened in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

No, it is not common. In fact, there's wide spread condemnation from the entire equine community, from all disciplines. That woman is a scumbag who does not and will never represent the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

as a horse owner i was disappointed to see this. particularly as the pony didn't even make a valid escape attempt...he got loose and started trotting away but then stopped when he saw his mate. which is when she grabbed him and started slapping him.

now looking at the video she didn't really inflict any real pain on the animal but to me it looks like she completely lost her temper and was in a bad mood anyhow...maybe the presence of the hunt sabateurs had interferred with the hunts activities earlier and she was taking out her frustrations on the animal...

still absolutely no excuse. if it had been me in the same situation i would have caught the pony and given him a big pat for not galloping off down the road.

all her details are now public so she'll pay a big price for this.

on the other hand, i've seen a lot worse going on at horse shows around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

It's just very hard to get to understand the mindset of someone kicking and hitting a horse. The horse is defenseless and while she may have been annoyed it's just inconceivable and raises a lot of questions about a persons character and what other things they do. Because it's so out there, you have to let your imagination go a bit when thinking about what kind of person does this and I can see why people have reacted to it in such a strong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s great that it went public. I hope she doesn’t recover from it and gets kicks and slaps wherever she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

That's awful, I've heard of people venting their frustrations out on animals before, but to see a young woman assault her own pony like that is quite unexpected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And that outcry led to the riding section of the Modern Pentathlon being completely replaced with biking now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

She’s gone into hiding after death threats. She’s also been suspended from her job as a teacher.

Shes a cruel bully of the highest order and RSPCA should follow up directly with her and take action and the Twitter pile on needs to stop.

Go to My Lovely Horse Facebook/Instagram/Website and you will see how horses are treated in Ireland, starved, ridden to death, burned, tortured daily. A charity worthy of support.

And I think that’s my point- ( sorry I don’t know how to edit your post with this new site)- your point about seeing worse at other horse shows.

While there’s a lot of “outrage” from the Pony Club HQ, this was a respected member up to that point- in fact, there are 30.000 so called “respected members” of the Pony club in the UK- this wasn’t some low life horse trader at a weekend horse fair - I’m thinking that such behaviour towards horses is more common than the Pony club would have us believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I find these things hilarious. Our national dishes of breakfast rolls and fry ups are made of pigs reared in the most disgusting horrible conditions and no one bats an eyelid. A poor horsey gets a slap and it's international news. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

you should know that some animals are more equal than others

Looking at that video, I imagine the horse thinking “This will hurt you more than me” when she was belting it around the head!

Indeed it did- her livelihood gone - hated by the community etc

l guess watching westerns as a kid, horses were often treated aggressively - I’ve no concept of what are today’s standards are in terms of reprimanding a horse or tackling an out of control horse if that is the case here but it’s obviously not this way-at a guess some form of horse whispering or calmness has taken over-surprised though that she lashed out considering she was a manager in the pony club and it appears some young people are around her-to the untrained eye as I am, logic would dictate hitting a horse who is upset or afraid or whatever would be counter productive

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Advertisement