Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lpg at home

Options
  • 09-11-2021 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Due to me moving to a new position my commute will be 50miles each way, thus I am thinking of upgrading to LPG. 

Unfortunately there is no petrol station supplying LPG on my route as its cross country.  I would have to go out of my way 10miles to fill up LPG.

Is it possible to purchase LPG in cylinders and DIY fill up at home or are there any other solutions.   

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Be better to consider an electric car, plenty would do 100 miles and be far cheaper to run.

Tbh even lpg vs efficient diesel the savings aren't as big as they would used to have been so for the hassle is probably not worth it.

Regarding filling up at home, I think its not allowed legally though technically you might be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can get a tank of LPG at home, have it filled up etc. To be honest though if the aim is saving money an EV or efficient diesel would save more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Give flogas a call.

https://www.flogas.ie/business/autogas/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

If going lpg buy a car that already has conversion done. It seems to devalue the car and makes it hard to sell. It seems to be out of fashion and most pumps are at conversion companies with many not open 24/7

Electric can give you 80% savings compared to diesel. Beware real world ranges are less than manufactures claim but some can do 300km motorway reliably. Beyond range requires a public charging stop and public chargers are often busy, blocked and broken. Do your research and long range EVs are not cheap. You probably want a 50kWh battery size minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IIRC while this is technically possible it is not worth the hassle and possibly illegal. If you already had a fixed tank (from Calor etc.) for your heating and cooking, it would definitely be a no-no to tamper with it.

100 mile round tip x 5 days is only 500 miles, how many times per week would you need to drive 10 miles out of your way to fill with LPG. The new Dacia Sandero has a 40 litre LPG tank which would do a good chunk of that driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It is possible but would cost a fair few quid which would negate the savings. You would have to get a big tank installed and a truck to come out to fill it every so often.

I have a Dacia Sandero LPG model and from filling up all the places have is a big tank but with a nozzle where as at home tanks for heating would not have a nozzle. I'm not sure on legal side of it but as someone above said ring flo gas as they are the ones running it in this country and would be able to tell you more than someone on the internet can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Open to correction on this as it's been ages since I looked but I don't think legally you can use the LPG in your domestic tank/bottle for car use, as it's rebated - like green diesel is for farming etc.

To use LPG as motor fuel it's supposed to be priced to include Excise.

Also, you'd need a tank with a pump on it to compress it into the vehicle tank, like this: http://go-lpg.co.uk/Own_Tank.html

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement