Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diver Watch €500 budget

Options
  • 07-11-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, sorry I took a very long extended break from boards in the last 18 months....anyway back to look for a bit of advice from everyone

My son just graduated so we are getting him a watch to commemorate the occasion budget €500. He likes my Steinhart O1B ceramic and has a preference for the Ocean One Vintage Red. Steinhart are being stubborn and wont fit a ceramic bezel for the extra cost, so he said this is still his no 1 pick.

Before he finally settles does anyone have any other suggestions ? He looks to be settled on a diver style watch but wouldnt have a problem showing him others aswell

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A very crowded segment with plenty of competition.

Steinhart is IMO a good shout. I'd throw a few more options into the mix with the Yema Superman Heritage, Spinnaker have a few in that ballpark and I'd throw NTH and Glycine's combat sub into the mix too.

Also as a 2nd hand option(only as they're not available new)? I'm still very taken with my Hamtun H2 Kraken and if you can find one op? Fantastic value IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A good few of the Seiko 'save the ocean' prospex watches have ceramic bezels and saphire crystals. Hard to beat them in that price range. Only thing is QC is hit and miss. As banie says NTH worth a look too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

What about the 96Zero Diver? They decided to keep it at £399 and it will be shipping in the next few weeks I think

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Sorry for hijacking the thread but any idea what import duty would be this watch. I looked on revenue but can't figure it out 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

+23% and whatever admin charge the courier used applies varies from €3.50 to €20 or so. That said if the seller is set up for Irish/EU VAT? Then no charge, and if they aren't set up for Irish/EU VAT? Then the purchase price should be less UK VAT.

@Blanchy90 good shout on the 96zero, I'd completely forgotten about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

Seiko sumo. Second hand on adverts without a doubt. Wouldn't even look at anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

If you are more into utilitarian watches, I had a Suunto for years. No issues whatsoever:

https://www.suunto.com/en-ie/Product-search/See-all-dive-products/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like the Helm komodo. There's millions of microbrands in that price range that are worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

What about Scurfa. They are based in the UK. https://www.scurfawatches.com/

They have a couple of nice options in various colours. I like the blue titanium (quartz) myself. It can be gotten with a titanium bracelet for EUR 309.00

They also have another model in Stainless Steel that is an automatic with a lumed ceramic bezel. (EUR 430.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Gosh that's a very unappealing name for a watch :(

I really like the 96zero I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I have a white Helm Komodo - unworn still in plastic. It's 40mm and just feels too small for my wrists. I have it currently on an orange nato, but have a grey nato and the metal band too, which is still wrapped in plastic. I'm considering selling on /r/watchexchange when I have the time, but if you're interested let me know.

I was on a waitlist to get one, and now it's sitting in the box. I feel it deserves to be worn as it's a great piece!

https://helmwatches.com/komodo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Does he dive? Or just like the look.

Citizen BN0151-17L , solar quartz ISO 6425 for €175 or so. A stainless steel OEM bracelet is another 80€.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Just bought a Ratio 1000metre diver on Creation watches for €167 including import duty! Need to get bracelet adjusted but stunning watch for the money, Seiko NH36 movement, sapphire crystal, helium release valve! Delighted with it!

m

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some good options here

And here

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/diver-suggestions-under-500.5324233/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

HEIMDALLR do a host of watches with ceramic, sapphire and nh35/36 movements (including a very similar version of the watch your looking at). Think it's only the GMT that's over £200.

They regulated mine for me and it's my most accurate watch by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Can second heimdallr. I have a white no time to die in titanium and it is remarkably thin and well made for "cheap" watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thanks for all the comments

the 96zero is a really nice watch and I showed it to him but think he has the heart set on the Steinhart regardless of whether they will give him the ceramic inlay on the bezel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I know of a cracking Seiko Dawn Grey that’s going..🤫😉

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Advertisement