Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Two years ago they'd have been my go to shoe for a lot of different types of runs. How times have changed. Lovely shoe .I'd probably lean towards using them for easy and long runs (my long run being 14 miles). I have shoes I'd prefer for threshold. But plenty of people would probably happily use them for faster stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Bought a pair of Skechers Max Road 5 today. They’ve got great reviews. Will try them on a handy 20km tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

My Fuelcell Rebel v2 arrived today from Lifestyle sports €90. I'll testbtjem out on tomorrow's recovery run. They feel good straight out of the box. I see Nikes Dragonflys are readily available now for anyone interested. The white colour wouldn't suit xc but swap the spikes with 7mm or longer and they could be used...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

90 euro from lifestyle sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

My bad just seen you had the price above

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Picked up a pair of New Balance 1080 v10's on the cheap at the weekend during the Kildare Village Outlet sale. Was in need of a decent long run shoe as those in my rotation are near end of life. Figured it was worth a poke at that price and the colours weren't that bad to turn them into walking shoes if needed.

Anyway, begun to break them in on Wednesday with a 10K. Felt a soreness on the outside of both my feed, from about a thumb's width down from my little toe down the size. Pain was bad for maybe a kilometer or so in before subsided (but I'd know it was still there). Reminded me a lot of when I last tried to the Pegasus's some time back. Anyway, this led me to this morning, I said I'd go with them on the long run and see. Put thicker socks on for a start and out I went. Same issues again and throughout the run - while the pain on the outer side of my foot ebbed, I knew it was there. But jaysus, when I stopped, it felt like the outside of my foot was put in a vice. I nearly felt like taking them off on the drive home. When I did get home, nearly felt I had to crawl up the stairs it was that bad when I put pressure on the outside of my foot.

So yeah, I think these shoes are going for early retirement! Really dissappointing as this is supposed to their long-run well cushioned shoe. It should be comfortable - not a torture device! Although have to say I'm curious as to what is causing the pain (as I said, it's similar to an issue I've had before with the Pegasus's) Now have a judgement to make as I jumped on that deal for the NB Rebel's in Lifestyle. Granted, a different type of padding and the like in them, but they not exactly a colour that would match a pair of jeans either! So I might be just playing it safe and returning them than risking them giving similar issues!

Post edited by racersedge on

I couldn’t get on with the NB 1080V10 at all and I love New Balance shoes.

Havent had any issues with the Fuelcell foam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sounds like the shoes are too narrow for you. The Nikes are also a narrower shoe. You could try loosening all the laces up the toe area. A lot of new shoes have them tightened up.

plan to get out tomorrow night and I’ll give it a go by loosening them up and see how it goes. Thought I was safe with the fit to be honest, as I had to go half a size up compared to usual (have been a solid 8.5/EU43 in the Saucony, Brooks and Reeboks that have been in the rotation as of late). Instantly knew trying these on I needed to go up a half a size, which at least left some room in the toes. Anyway, I’ll give them a poke with some loosened laces tomorrow and see if that makes a difference to them to see if they can be saved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi all.

Has anyone bought anything from https://www.sportsshoes.com/ recently?

Do they ship from the UK? It's not clear from the website.

I want to place an order, but don't want to get any nasty customs surprises.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi Guys

I've got 800+ km out of my Hoka carbon X2, I'm already 180km into the second pair and I've a third pair for racing.

Love the shoe and it's helped with both my plantar fascitis and Morton's Neuroma.

As far as the carbon aspect of the shoe, I feel it's non existent.

I've also noticed that once I get to 20k, I feel the ground more and feel my toes getting cramped, kind of loosing feeling.

Just wondering if yous could recommend a marathon distance, carbon shoe with a wide toe box and a bit of cushioning?

Thanks

The ones that spring to mind are NB Fuelcell RC Elite V1 or V2, Saucony Endorphin Pro, Adidas Adizero Adios Pro.

I'm not sure id consider any of the above shoes particularly wide. Saucony Endorphin Pro is maybe the roomiest.

I'm a huge fan of the Fuelcell cushioning. If it was me i'd probably go with the RC Elite for racing or the Fuelcell TC for training.

I do own the Endorphin Pro and they are a lovely shoe - I just prefer the New Balance..

None of the above have the same feel (for me) as the Next% though.....But the Next% isn't really what you're looking for as I wouldnt consider it mega cushioned..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Regarding the sizing of new balance, are they true to size. I'm an EU 42 in Hoka, so would it be the same in NB?

Best deal to pick up the NB?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I wore the NB Fuelcell RC elite v2 for my half marathon in Antrim & full marathon in Manchester. I would highly recommend them. I do find the toe box in them to be a wider fit for me compared to the Endorphin Pro. I love the cushioning in these runners.

When buying running shoes I always go by EU sizes as UK sizes are not consistent across brands.

They are currently on sale on Alltricks for €195

The NB fuelcell TC are true to European size for me . They're snug in my opinion. There's also a really good deal on alltricks for them at the moment. TC elite (which confuses me as I didn't realise there was a TC elite).

If your plan is to invest in a training shoe I'll go with the TC as its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think if you have gone up half a size already the shoe is probably too narrow for you. I don't think it is a good idea to go up half a size. The shoe either fits or doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I did a big order of runners & gear in June - no issues . Shipping was €3.96. No delays

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭longrunn

Yeah, ordered from them recently and while delivery was slow and the tracking didn't update any time after the courier received the package, it did get delivered and without extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The Bargains thread seems to have disappeared (?) or else I can't find it on the new site layout.

Anyway, there's a reasonably decent range of NB on SportsPursuit today...alas not 880's or 1080's for me but might be something there for someone

I think I turned this thread into the Bargains thread....

If its 1080 you're after Alltricks have the v11 reduced from e180 to e128.

Appreciate the advice on that one. Gave them another go for an easy 10K on Monday evening after loosing up the laces. While the vice-like pain went away, I did feel like on my outer right toes were going asleep on me (mind you, maybe it's a phantom pain because I swore I felt them on the following nights when I changed to both the Reeboks and then my 800+K Ghosts.. so I could be just feeling things). So yeah, I'm likely to just go back to what I know on this one. I'm chickening out of trying out the Rebel's and going to send them back. Whatever about chucking 60-euro at a pair of shoe, realising they don't work for me and making them a walking shoe - I'd rather not add a 90-euro pair of shoe in much brighter colours to that and think I've blown 150 on shoes that don't suit me! I'm one for three now when it comes to finding a comfort level with New Balance, so maybe I'm just a bit awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Tried out the Adidas SL20s last night - good god the cramping in my feet, kinda like I had with the Nike Infinity React even though they are completely different shoes! Anyone else have these, do they need breaking in?? I reckon I'll just try return them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I have the SL20's & I love them. Not much cushioning like most of my other runners so i had to just get used to them but there was no breaking them in for me.

Yeah I hated them also, only cost me €55 so wasn’t fussed that much about them not working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Interesting. I have other runners with not very much cushioning and no issues so I feel like this discomfort won't disappear! I really wanted to like them, they look great!

Actually, did you size up? Adidas website said to go up a full size, so I did, and I wouldn't usually. Wonder would that make a difference?

Advertisement