Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold van for export

Options
  • 07-11-2021 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm after selling my trusty old Toyota dyna to a fella for export, he's collecting during the week, my question is what do I do with the log book, he told me to include a letter with it to say I've sold it for export and take a picture and that would do, does anyone know if this is right or wrong as there's going to be no new owner as such so no point filling out the new ownership part

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd still post off the VLC and let them wait for it to come back. They need the VLC to export it, but you need your name off the VLC and that would be my priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Ok, what would be the risk to me if I did what he said and gave them the VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It mightn’t get exported

And this (in reverse) is why people have issues importing cars here without the V5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'm presuming the person you're selling to has an Irish address. If so, from your point of view it's a normal sale, make sure he fills in the VLC and you post it off. The person you're selling to is the new owner. Once it's out of your name it's not your problem, you're not exporting it.

If they don't have an Irish address or won't give it to you, scam alert.

(Posting VLCs is free so you don't even need a stamp.)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

There is a section on the Motortax.ie website that deals with the export of a vehicle and what to do.

If the person buying the vehicle is from outside the jurisdiction, you should send a COPY of the VLC and provide the name and address details of the buyer to Shannon. The original VLC goes with the new owner so they can register the vehicle in their end country. You can check out the process HERE where it says Vehicle Export.

If the person buying the vehicle is from Ireland, then I would definitely be sending the VLC myself with their Irish address details in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had exactly the same situation with an old Avensis 2.0TD.

I prefilled the VLC with my name and date of sale, and had a stamped addressed envelope on hand.

I got him to sign the form despite his protestations that he didn't need that done, and once it was signed I popped it in the envelope and straight into the postbox that was in the postoffice that I met him nearby.

If they protest then don't bother letting them have it, if they are legit they can have the VLC sent to their address.

Hi, thanks for the replies, yes he's an Irish guy with an Irish address, I'll be getting him to fill it out or he can have his deposit back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If selling to someone living in Ireland, then surely only right way is to fill new owner's details in the back of the logbook and post it.

However - if selling to someone living abroad, above procedure is not possible.

Only way to sell a car to a foreign resident for export is to hand down the logbook.

Many people are wary of that idea. Maybe rightly, as while motortax website ensures that's the right way, they don't provide any mechanism to prevent scams in a form of someone pretending to be from abroad buying car for export, while in fact picking up car with the logbook to be driving M50 toll up and down all day long.

That's actually very unfortunate, as it makes Irish car market unattractive to potential genuine buyers from abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

The tax office does provide a "mechanism to prevent scams" in the text from the Motor Tax office. You send a copy of the VLC along with the name and address of the "out of country" buyer to Shannon, and that is it. Once they receive this documentation, it is no longer your problem as you have fulfilled the requirements.... Scam or not.

I would also think more buyers from abroad are put off by our steering wheels being on the opposite side to most of our neighbours in Europe as opposed to the procedure of exporting a car from Ireland.

In any case, for the OP, the buyer is from Ireland so a standard change of ownership is the order of the day here.

So he came today and not a bother signing it, filled the tank with green diesel and out the gate like the bullet, lol, there's some awful chancers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can be sure that a chancer like that would also be tempted to have some runs through tolls at your expense.

Well there's nothing i can do about that, I've the form sent off so it's done now

Advertisement