Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eight people dead at Travis Scott concert

Options
  • 08-11-2021 11:54am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Eight people ranging in age from 14 to 27 were killed and dozens were injured at the Astroworld festival in Houston on Friday night, when fans were crushed against the stage.

According to the Houston Chronicle, which reviewed videos and social media, people had begun to collapse by 9.39pm. Soon after that, the show’s promoter agreed to stop the performance. Yet Scott appeared to complete his set, the newspaper reported. The artist finished at 10.15pm – 36 minutes after the disaster was already apparent.

Not only did he continue with his set; there are videos circulating of him standing on a podium singing the word "Yeah" repeatedly while staring creepily a person being pulled from the crowd.

May they rest in peace. Awful tragedy.

I've edited my post as someone has corrected me. He was singing the word "Yeah".

Post edited by xzanti on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

apparently he incites the crowd against security and asks them to rush the stage,

sounds like he could be the main cause of this

He's been done before for inciting a crowd to rush the stage. Whatever his responsibility or lack of he'll walk away from it without much punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Astartes

Just another disturbing reminder of how completely fuc**d America is

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Absolute scumbag, there are videos of him looking directly at people being trampled and carrying on singing. He even had an after-party after the event. Hopefully he gets whats coming to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well he's not singing "dead", it's "yeah". But still creepy how he seems to be staring at the person being carried out and just carries on regardless. I've seen videos of 2 people having seizures too, so seems like there were a few different issues going on. The video of the girl desperately trying to get someone to stop the show is horrendous, she is telling a guy that people are dying and he literally ignores her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

yes lots of people on drugs it looked like to me anyway, reminded me of the redbox in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

To be fair: I am sure he is pretty used to people in the audience fainting and being carried off, so I’d have been more surprised had he paused the show for that.

The show organisers will be held accountable for the disaster, not the person on stage. Once they realised what was going on they should have simply stopped the show because that’s their job, not the artist’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

In fairness to him, I imagine it's not that uncommon for one or two people to collapse at crowded concerts, particularly in the mosh.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I wouldn’t blame Travis Scott, he didn’t seem to see it. The building management didn’t do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think you probably need to read up a bit more on who the artist is, in relation to who organised the show.

I don’t need to read up on it. The event management/ organiser is responsible for the safety and general management of a gig, not the artist. They get paid **** loads for this and clearly didn’t monitor the situation properly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i think the point is that the whole event was organised and run by scott himself ,

saying i dont need information to make a judgment is not a good thing 😁

Astroworld Festival - Wikipedia

@mikethecop And whose job is it to ensue that the venue is adequate for an event and that safety protocols are in place? What were event management company Live Nation hired to do?

I dunno, there's also videos of the crowd chanting 'stop the show' trying to get them to do something. An ambulance drove through the crowd. Again, both of those warning signs ignored. People were dancing on the ambulance. It's hard to believe he didn't know something was up.

A load of ticketless people stormed through security earlier in the day too, something that Scott encourages. He's been charged with inciting unsafe behaviour at his shows in the past. I think he does have some culpability for what happened, and even if not, it's scumbag behaviour to show such disregard for your fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You do need to read up on it, as you don't know what you are talking about. Travis Scott is one of the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Travis Scott is a trash human being- this was obvious before the weekend btw but even slow learners should be able to figure it out now- hopefully this destroys his career

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Be right back

He does have history of inciting trouble and there is already lawsuits against him .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Something to note is that endangering a minor is a felony, and Texas also have the felony murder charge where a death occurring due to someone committing the felony leads to a murder charge. Even if the person didn't intend for someone to die if they did knowingly intent to commit the felony it counts as premeditated.

Read about home invaders getting shot by resident and the survivors getting charged.

Considering he's done it before and there were children among the dead I don't see this as unlikely.

The lawsuits are coming in thick and fast - they waste zero time on that in the US!

Sue the singer(s), Sue the organisers (surely their primary responsibility), Sue everybody, Sue them as quick as possible.

Not sure how they will much they will be able to pin on the performers -the main crush was a bit back from the stage and may well have just looked like a normal crowd.

Would be normal to see a few people taken out by security at least in any concert and in fact he stopped his song and pointed out a person during the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Hopefully he see's the inside of a jail cell for this.

Just saw on the news that a 9 year old has become the latest victim and has died after a week on life support :(

The age of the person shouldn’t make this any more tragic. Makes you wonder who brings a 9 year old to a a gig with these lyrics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Parenting has gone to the dogs in the western world tbh. Bringing a child to a concert like that is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Is it safe to say that this performers career is over now, or will there be a way back for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Personally, I think the death of a child is definitely more tragic than that of an adult. Not that a grown adult dying can't be tragic but surely you can see why a child dying is even worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Honestly, if you're actually being serious, that has to be one of the strangest things I've ever read on here. I don't get that at all.

Likewise I don’t get your point of view, but I can accept it as a difference of opinion. To me they aren’t worth more than others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement