Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strava Privacy - adding an address to hide issue

• 08-11-2021 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

I'm having difficulty adding an address for strava to hide using their "Hide an Address" feature.

The problem is that strava doesn't recognise the address, and so, can't find it to hide it.

I'm 95% certain there was a "click the point on a map" option to do this previously and I've 3 addresses already hidden successfully from years ago.

Is there any way to proceed when strava doesn't recognise the address entered?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seems to have changed, best I can suggest is using an eircode or picking a neighbours address and extending it wide enough

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Use coordinates from https://www.openstreetmap.org/ instead of address. Did the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It doesn't appear to recognise Irish eircodes. It appears to try to match against US, British, Australian or even Latvian addresses but not Irish.

Thanks. Is there a particular format to enter the coordinates? I get "No results found" when I enter mine.

According to strava help it should be possible to use google coordinates:

Why isn’t my address locating me properly when I edit map visibility?

This is likely because Google Maps has not correctly indexed your location in its database. Instead, you can enter the latitude/longitude coordinates for your location.

From the Google Maps website, find the address that corresponds to the location you want to hide.

Right-click the desired location, and select "What's Here." Upon doing so, the appropriate coordinates will come up in the Maps search bar in the format "37.76447,-122.437529."

However I still get "No results found" when doing that. 🤔

It would seem that strava have broken or at least seriously impaired this functionality making it very difficult to add new hidden addresses. I've opened a support request and will post if I get a useful response from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw I've had trouble adding zones (new office/ new parking spots) the last couple of weeks, and my old method using googlemaps coordinates hasn't worked. I've had to use an address and then adjusted the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I found the iOS app better for setting privacy zones than the desktop browser. That might be worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Good suggestion.

After dealing with strava support the suggested method that actually worked was the following:

1. Select your desired location in the google maps mobile app and drop a pin (i.e. long press on the location). The GPS location will appear in the search bar of the google maps app e.g. 52.123456, -9.987654
    2. Copy that GPS location and paste it into the "Add an address" section on the strava app i.e. Settings->Privacy Controls->Map Visibility->Hide the start and end points for activities that happen at a specific address->Add
    3. Set your radius
    4. Voila. Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just to say, this still wasn't working for me this morning on Chrome, but the above does work in the app. That's the method I've always used on browser as well, so no idea why it works in app but not browser!

Advertisement