Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless power tools

• 07-11-2021 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭

I want to get a small grinder lads and a new cordless drill. Is there one brand way better than others or are they all.much of a muchness? Hikoki and makita are better value than dewalt or milwaukee. Are they worth the premium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Who2

If it’s only odds and ends I’d go makita. If it’s for hardship go Milwaukee. It’s the batteries that will go first either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Tis odds and ends really. To be honest the grinder will spend more time paring cows feet than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Most the lads I know all have DeWalt so I got them also, we'd swap around stuff so handy enough with battery's etc. Only thing I can say about the quality of them is I won't ever be buying another cheap aldi/lidl or other own brand cordless tool again lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

I decided on makita there two years ago. Have angle grinder, 2 drills and circular. No complaints so far. Get the bigger batteries if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

What size battery have you 893? Is 5.0Ah enough

• Advertisement

Got Milwaukee stuff here, managed to kill the circular saw mind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

I have a couple of 3’s that I would like dumped.

And a 5 which I try make sure is always charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Which dewalt impact wrench would open tractor wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I have a Dewalt DCF 899H brushless impact gun with a 5 ah battery. Aprox 2 years old. Will open tractor wheel nuts no bother when at full charge. I also bought a a good set of long workshop standard sockets as well off Amazon. Very handy around the yard. Theres a lighter version as well but I went for the heavier version.

Also have a dewalt hedge trimmer and angle grinder all working off the same battery. Will buy a dewalt drill this year. From what I researched at the time Milwaulkee Dewalt and Makita in that order...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭DBK1

I wouldn’t completely knock the Aldi/Lidl versions. I’ve a Lidl grinder and 1/2” impact wrench and they’re thrown in behind the seat of the tractor all the time. Impact wrench is very handy for changing mower blades and the grinder is handy if there’s a rouge length of wire buried in the grass! I think they were both only about €80 each with a battery and charger each. If one of them gets damaged, drove over, left behind or whatever it’s not the end of the world. If the Milwaukee gets left behind or drove over you’d be fairly pissed off!

The Lidl grinder seems to be very popular among hedge cutter men around here too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I used to have DeWalt but only have Lidl stuff now. Quality is ok for the money, most of it is made by Einhell AFAIK. Look up AvE on youtube before you splash out on the big names for cordless tools.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭pms7

Plus the 3 year warranty is very good. Cash back or replacement to your door depending on availability

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

I have metabo drill, grinder and impact wrench, good quality. Have the 4ah batteries which are on in drill but grinder runs them down quick. Impact wrench will loose tractor nuts no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A good tutorial on Parkside tools the good the bad and the ugly and what to watch out for

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I have all Milwaukee here. Bought a tool pack in oz and sent it home. The grinder and impact gun get the most work out of them. I am happy with how they perform but they wouldn't be killed with work either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

My brother handed me a battery grinder he'd bought a few weeks ago in Lidl or Aldi, I was replacing a few chains on a muck spreader and it wouldn't cut through the bolts, pure useless on a farm in my opinion. Must check which it was.

I had a van load of Milwaukee brand tools in my last job, I'm sorry I had to give them back 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

That's very true, it would be a bad tradesman to blame his tools as he should have the right tool for the job. I on the other hand was trying out some else's grinder, found it lacking so proceeded to use my own which had no issue with cutting the bolts and it was only a cheap green Bosch. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Have milwaukee gear here, can't fault them.

5ah battery would be minimum for a grinder,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I have a mixture of stuff, but mainly DeWalt. Just had a battery fail on me. 18v 2.0Ah. But I got it in 2008, so it's lasted a long time.

Ordered a replacement, which is great, as they still use the same system. Just slightly different shape, so I had to adapt the case a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I've bought lidl, drill packed it in after trying to drill through steel, I then bought a botch but the bit keeps loosening. I now just buy de Walt, drill I have and grinder for last 6 or 7 years and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Suckler

Dewalt / Makita / Hitachi / Bosch can't go too far wrong. Milwuakee I'd love to have but expensive; if I was full time on the tools I'd go for Milwaukee. Einhell & Metabo are very good alternatives as well. Panasonic used to be the mutts nuts when it came to cordless drills.

No time for Lidl type tools. Been burnt before on cheap tools - Ryobi/Mannesman/Rolson etc.

Einhell make a lot of Lidl stuff afaik, just in a different colour.

Advertisement