Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving lessons and tests

Options
  • 06-11-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Can electric cars be used for driving lessons and tests?

Because in my day, if you passed the test in an automatic, then you could only drive an automatic.

Does that apply to electric cars too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Yes, you can use an ev and yes it will be automatics only on your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I wonder how this will affect the near future when more cars will be electric and new cars with gears will be slowly phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Much the same as the US I imagine, where manual transmissions have been the minority for a long time

It'll be interesting in the next few years when people start getting their tests in EVs or hybrids which are all automatic

Presumably that'll be a major tipping point as those new drivers will not consider driving a manual or possibly even an ICE car of any sort

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

The only drawback I can think off

Knowing to drive a stick would bump you for a getaway driver position. 😊

On a more serious note according to stats.beepbeep automatics account for nearly half (48.7%) of the cars sold this year, compared to 10% in 2011. In 5 years time manuals would be the odd ones. Even rentals automatics are kinda the same price and I prefer them as usually they are a better spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I wouldn't mind taking driving lessons in this (in Holland)

• Advertisement
Advertisement