Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bale Splitter on Back of Tractor

Options
  • 30-10-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a bale splitter for the back of the tractor.

If I split a bale of silage in two how far will it go width wise. So my central passage is 16 foot wide, if I split a bale in the centre of the passage will the bale expand the full width of the passage way ie 16 feet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

I don't have one, Tom, but I doubt it'd be 16ft when split. It'd roughly be twice the height of the bale plus a few inches I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It won't spread the 16' you require.

I can't remember where, but I did see someone splitting the bale and then using the splitter to push it over to either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

No, it won't spread to the full width of 16'..... But when you half the bale, you can pull forward and reverse under one half. You can then lift that half, or just push it along the ground to where you want it. Repeat with the other half. It is possible to split the halves again if you wish, making the bale into four sections. Each section can be lifted into place with the prongs of the splitter. 16' would give you loads of room to work.

Some tips for splitting and carrying sections: 1...the splitter comes with 3 prongs. Fit a fourth. This helps alot if carrying split sections.

2....Make sure the sections are split all the way to the ground. I split the bale, then pull forward and reverse back under the bale again with the prongs on the ground. You can split the bottom cleanly then.

3.... When lifting a split section, lower the blade down onto the top of the block of silage. It helps to hold it together, especially if you have chopped bales....

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

The bale splitter is a good job but probably best suited to sheds where you can back up perpendicular to the feed barrier, split the bale and then push it up the cattle. It just means there's little graping to be done.

If you've a central passage way and feed barriers on both sides you'd still have to do a good bit of graping as there will always be silage in the middle of the passageway. It helps if you've a 2wd drive tractor as its more manoeuvrable in a narrow passageway than a 4wd. Maybe getting a silage pusher would help if you have a front loader to minimise the graping.

We use a Hustler bale unroller now though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Have one here the past 25 years or so, find it a great job, I split the bale in 2 halves and then split each half again (so 4 sections in total after splitting).

I then grab one of the middle sections and move it up the passageway and place it in beside the barrier and repeat the same again for the remaining middle section. Similar to what "Hopeso" has outlined above. A bale wont require much graping after been split that way.

Just give the blade a run of a flap disc at the start of each winter to sharpen it up and make it easier to slice through the bale.

With a 16ft wide passageway, you have plenty of room for maneuvering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Silage pushers are the thing I see thrown in corners of yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

The only way a silage pusher gets used is if you don’t have to leave the seat of the tractor to put it on. The one above does look reasonable value for the way it’s made but as 893 said it would only be thrown in the corner. You need to be able to pick them up with the grab or bucket to make them simple to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

I gotta agree, more often than not the silage pusher we have isint used as its cumbersome to get it onto the loader spikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

how many hydraulic pipes are on the bale splitter, is it 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Yes, two. You need one double acting spool on the tractor to work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Omallep2

Hydraulic top link is handy also

Advertisement