If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Big Dilemma - go now, or wait?

  • 03-11-2021 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

    Been posting on this forum a little while now and started off wanting an Ioniq 5, but after lots of research and test driving we have also considered the EV6 and Mach-E (and test driven ID4 and Q4-E-Tron).

    This morning we test drove the EV6 again, and as we were driving off in our own car we saw a EV6 being taken into the dealer straight off the truck, I jokingly messaged the dealer and said "I take it that's sold?" and he replied, "No, its yours if you want it".

    The problem is we then went and drove the Mach-E straight after, and hands down that is the nicest car I've test driven in terms of comfort and ride height (vs ID4, Ioniq 5, Q4 e-tron, EV6).

    We just love everything about it.

    I'm fully aware that it doesn't have the same tech as the EV6 and no fast charging but....I think I just want it.

    The EV6 I can literally go get today (Earth model) and the Mach-E I'd have to wait 6 months probably to get the RWD standard range in my preferred colour.

    Would you wait? I don't hate the EV6 at all, and I know if I had it and stopped researching cars I'd be happy with it. But I also know if both were available today I'd take the Mach-E.

    Just a bit worried about warranty and stuff, not even sure what it is on Mach-E, whereas 7 years on the Kia is incredible, as is all the extra tech you get (although we were originally looking at GT Line).

    How much would come off the EV6 price if I wanted to trade in, in a year or 2 to get the Mach-E do we think?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

    If you really love the Mach-E get it, otherwise you will probably regret it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards.

    Only annoying thing is we saw it in a lovely grey colour today but that's only available on the AWD, and I just don't think I can justify spending that much on a car.

    Red is available by February, otherwise it's a pure black.

    Thought buying a car might be a bit simpler :)

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,599 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

    The mach E has fast charging. It charges at over 100kW for 10 minutes and then a good charge curve up to 80%.

    I agree on your color choice, if I were getting a mach e it would have to be the grey

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    It's not as fast as the Ioniq 5 or EV6 though right?

    The carbonised grey is only available on AWD, not the RWD standard range.

    Best I could go for is the absolute black which looks okay, but the grey looks great in the metal this morning. Jump to AWD is about 13k!

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

    Could you strike a deal on buy now trade in is six months

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

    I think they're suggesting - buy the EV6 now and then use that as a trade-in for the Mach-E when it become available.

    A possible 'have your cake and eat it scenario'

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Ah yes, I did think of that.

    Although we have no charger yet, and it seems that waiting until January to register it for the 221 plate might be a good idea?

    I just wonder how much I'd lose off the price of the EV6 even after just 6 months.

    I checked as well - 2 year warranty on the car, 8 years/160,000km on the battery. Not quite as good as Kia.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

    You never know. It might be a seller's market at the moment with chip shortages, etc., so depreciation on a top range EV6 might not be that much at all.

  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

    The fact that you started this thread at all means you should just wait until you can get the Mach-E imo. It's clearly the car you want.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    It's the earth model available right now, GT-Line is March apparently.

    You're probably right. Although I kind of wish I'd have been able to see the RWD standard range as it doesn't have the same colours, and the wheels are smaller without the brake calipers - maybe it wouldn't have looked as nice 😀

  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

    The questions you have to ask yourself are:

    Would you be happy driving a Mach-E in the "wrong" colour, assuming you don't go for AWD and the colour you want is AWD only? Is the EV6 in the colour that you would order it, and if not, when would it be available in that colour?

    Would you be happy in your current car for the next 4 months, especially when you see an EV6 driving around and think that you could be in that?

    Also, even though the Kia garage have the car you want in stock, you will still have to wait for the SEAI grant approval (assuming you're buying private) before the garage will register and release it to you. When I bought, it was about 3 weeks for the approval process. That brings you up to the end of November, at which point you may decide to wait until January to register, which would mean only 2 months between getting the EV6 and Mach-E.

    Ultimately, it's a lot of money and you have to be happy with what you get. If the car you really want is the Mach-E, and the EV6 is just ok in comparison, then you're not going to be completely happy in the EV6, and will just change it sooner.

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Really great questions.

    Originally I wanted the black colour anyway, it's actually the cheapest one in the range and available on the RWD ST. Not sure if it's metallic, and not sure if that matters? I'm a bit of a car novice!

    It's only when I saw the grey in the metal I loved it, just don't think its a deal breaker.

    The stuff about the grant and registering is good to know, thanks! I definitely need to get my head around the fact I'm not just going to go and pay cash and take the car away straight away so maybe it'll be worth the wait.

    My only worry is it felt like the dealer was a bit hesitant even for 6 months, and I'm not sure I'd be happy about waiting even longer which could happen. I don't know what the chances are of the car arriving earlier, seems unlikely with how everything is going at the moment.

  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

    If you buy an electric car now - for January delivery - would you not be able to register it for a few weeks in jan ? Or can the grant stuff be sorted between now and then ?

  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

    Mate you've been all over this forum and many different cars and your mind is too split.

    Just nail your colours to the wall and go for the Mustang. There is such thing as too Much Choice leading to Buyer Dilemma.

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    You're absolutely right about too much choice - should never have test driven any other cars once I drove the Ioniq 5 :)

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

    If it's all about saving the planet, just go out and get a bike :)

  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

    I'd suggest take a proper look at the Kia 7 year warranty. 7 years is a headline ....not all is covered for that time. In fact quite a bit is for 2 to 3 years.

    Battery is for 7 years or 150k km(I think), whichever comes first.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Okay thanks, will take a look.

    I checked with Ford and the Mustang Mach-E warranty is - 3 years or 100,000kms which ever comes first. The battery has an extended warranty of 8 years or 160,000kms which ever comes first.

    Just trying to get some information/pictures/videos of the RWD standard range and then might go make a decision, but probably not (@Pivot Eoin 😉)

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Don't want to start a new thread so just asking in here - if you buy from a dealer that isn't local, are there likely to be any problems in the future with servicing etc?

    I guess if you buy from a dealer in Cork you can get it serviced in Dublin and vice versa etc? Main issue would be if there's a big fault and you need to deal with dealer direct and it's a long way to drive?

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

    surely the Audi Etron has a higher ride than the Mache-E ?

    is it not a significantly bigger car ?

  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

    The grant can be applied for once the dealer has the VIN and the customer details, so if you order now for January delivery, once the dealer knows the VIN of the car you will be getting, they can apply for the grant. They can apply up to 2/3 months before delivering the car (not sure of the exact time, but they delayed accepting applications for Jan 2020 deliveries until after the budget in 2019 as they didn't know if the grant was continuing).

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

    There really shouldnt be any issues with local dealer servicing the car even if bought elsewhere.

    Service dept will just take the booking etc and all good.

    On a brand new car the warranty issues wont need any input from original dealer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Thanks! Looks like we are going to buy local but this is good to know if we end up trading in in the future.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

    A former classmate of mine lives in Seattle and got a Mach-E for herself a couple of months back. With all bells and whistles. Her hubby loved it and penned a deal to replace his car with a Mach-E too… Ford must have done some good work to change his mindset so quick especially since he’s to spend just short of $70000 on it…

    I guess if you are about to sped tens of thousands on a car, you better love being in it every hour of every day 😂

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

    Ford and Kia in Portlaoise are under one ownership. They might do you an EV6/MachE deal?

  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

    Yeah, the top spec AWD models are very nice I have to say, but they're around 68,800 euro over here from a dealer.

    The problem with the RWD standard range is you can't get the 2 colours I like the most - infinite blue and the carbonised grey.

    Plus the trim is slightly different and at 55,000 euro I'm not sure I want to order it to find out I don't like it as much. Just felt like too much money in the end so settled on an Ioniq 5 (which I know wasn't even mentioned in this thread!)

  • Advertisement