Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new hot water tank & advice please

Options
  • 01-11-2021 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Hi, our sealed hot water tank is leaking and not repairable, we have a geothermal heatpump as the main heatsource for the house, house built 2005/06

The hot water tank was 200l and has it's own mini heatpump, I had found the old system wasn't really meeting our hot water needs with 2 adults and 2.5 teens in the house, I was heating the water on nightrate and topping up the water during the day but it was taking an age to heat the water if my daughter got to the shower before anyone else.

The plumber has come back to us with a qoute for 250l tank with heatpump and twin immersion for approx 1600 exc vat

800 euro inc Vat for twin immersion only tank

The tank is under the stairs so we are limited in size there.

What are peoples thoughts?

I'm also considering installing pv panels in the near future as we consume a lot of electricity, we have two electric cars but will probably reduce that to one soonish but the main ev will do most of the mileage.

I have a zappi and the myenergi hub also

The uses about 4000kw per annum and the rest of the house approximately 12000kw.

We run as much as possible at night, almost 60% of usage is at night

All advice welcome

Thank you

Loopy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Is this mini heat pump geothermal as well or is it one of these thermodynamic panels mounted on the roof?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

The mini heat pump worked by pulling heat from the underfloor. It was attached directly to the hot water tank through a flange.

There appears to be no option to keep that & get have an immersion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah interesting, Hadn't thought of that, was thinking it was along the lines of something like this : https://www.thermasol.ie/hot-water-heat-pump/

If the bulk of the heating was done by the more efficient heat pump, a little boost with the immersion takes warm water to hot very quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I hear you on hot water, especially now the cold water tank in the attic is getting colder so more hot water required to bring shower heat where you want it. For what it's worth I'm seriously looking at a non-economical new cylinder purchase next year to increase capacity so my only piece of advice is to go as big as you can!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

If you can find the space get a bigger tank or a quicker way of heating it. Solar PV will help but sadly not for all of the year. But it will make a good dent on your bills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement