Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heated windscreen and nozzles - should I make sure to get these?

Options
  • 01-11-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

How important is it to have heated nozzles and a heated windscreen on a EV? Without these I presume the internal heater and fans will work to clear the screen as normal anyway( while using up some battery ) but maybe the nozzles will freeze over without heat from the engine?

Just wondering if anybody could share their experience of having or not having these these features on an EV.

They seem to be standard on the ID4 I think , and definitely extras on the Enyaq.

👍️Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nothing worse than winter driving and the nozzles freeze up and then you need to pull the wipers to get the crud and salt off only for it all to streak and you then have to put a bottle of water on the glass whilst blades are going to clean them. On an eV this would be not likely. With a combustion engine the engine heat can prevent them freezing, although not on my car.

Heated windshield - presume a quick clear, would also be great in winter.

I'd see these as important regardless as to whether it is an ICE or EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How important is it to have heated nozzles and a heated windscreen on a EV?

Not really important at all. With an EV you can remotely start the cabin heating which includes the windscreen and you can also set it to start on a departure time so its always ready for you when you go out to it each morning.

Having a heating element built into the windscreen will make it quicker I suppose but I wouldnt pay a premium for it as the window will be clear for you either way so why pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Probably a nice thing to have, wouldn't pay much for it personally.

The heated nozzles may be unnecessary in our climate also but my experience is with ICE, maybe without engine heat they tend to freeze while driving in below zero conditions. Not sure.

I've been using a very heavy mixture of anti freeze screen wash the last few years ago I'd imagine that does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buy -10C windscreen wash and dilute it to suit the temp. Even with an ICE the nozzles can freeze up and modern diesels take a long time to get hot so will take ages to defrost the nozzles. Better to not have the nozzles freeze in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Does the ID 4 have a Heated windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We live in a temperate climate. The number of sub zero days in Ireland where this becomes a serious issue is miniscule. There are plenty of worse things that a frozen nossel with an EV. You should put your money into daily comforts not rare items which are easily solved with antifreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I have had washer nozzles freeze simply due to wind chill, even though the air temperature is above freezing. That was with an ICE vehicle and anti-freeze in the washer fluid. If the option of adding heated nozzles doesn't cost too much (and I mean under €100), then I would be inclined to go for it. Otherwise, get a screen wash with anti-freeze rated for -15c or lower and use it in a more concentrated solution than recommended during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

just remember should you be unlucky enough to have a broken heated windscreen and have to pay for it yourself, that these are much more expensive to replace than a normal unheated windscreen

but yeah, if its not crazy money to get added then get them. life will be so much easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

Doesn't come as standard on the life anyway - heated windscreen might be on one of the better specs

Life has heated nozzles, side mirrors, steering wheel and front seats

Advertisement