Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Lane Upon Exit?

Options
  • 01-11-2021 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6063285,-6.1977486,145m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hi Folks,

I'd like to get your opinion on the above, as in use people take both exits from the carpark above to go both right and left at the junction. When exiting the carpark there are two lanes. I would have thought that the right lane would be the one to use if you were going to join the main road and turn left. The left exit I would have thought is the one to use when going to the main road and turning left.

In use however, drivers seem to use both to go either way. I'm always waiting to see someone coming out of the 'red' exit and turning into the blue line, while someone from the 'blue' exit continues on as illustrated above.

With such a setup, is it just a free for all and folks should be observant or should a protocol be followed?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

In an ideal world, your assumption would be correct however it will never happen. People will tend to use whatever lane they feel is right for them. I wonder though, why the car park business didn't mark one lane as right only and the other as left only coming out of the exit? I believe that would end any confusion. Are there any signs a little further back into the car park to given an indication as to how each lane should be used or are they just both exits from the covered area?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi Chief,

There are no markings at all. As you mentioned, they both just exit from the covered area of the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The above makes the most sense, since then two cars, one going right and one left, can exit simultaneously without getting in each other's way (assuming traffic conditions on the road allow it). After Red turns right, they can take whichever lane they need to join the main road.

The contours of the junction's kerbs are even set up to guide you in these directions, but it seems that they prioritised the No Entry signs over arrows. Which just goes to show how much even grown adults in command of vehicles need explicit instructions or prohibitions about the most simple things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Totally agree, but...

Blue in your diagram really only takes you back to the car park entrance. You can carry on further than the car park entrance, all the way around the building, but it's quicker to follow the red arrow and turn right there to get out to the real main road.

OP - Free for all and be observant is my advice knowing the car park. Exit's and Entrance are badly designed - weren't wide enough in the first place and have been changed recently to allow for more room to manouver. At least it's not as bad as the "underground" one - how I haven't scraped a wheel exiting I don't know.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What I'm looking at there is the red arrow turns onto a road that actually only has one lane. It splits further passed the junction. So I would say that there is 1 right turn lane that goes into a single lane.

As a result, anyone exiting right from blue is turning into a single lane and technically not turning into the proper aligned junction. Never in a million years would I use that blue lane to exit right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Blue is left and straight to mcdonalds.

Red is right only.

People don't know the rules and do what they want, multiple crashes there.

Its a one way road, technically, people in that place are just basterds like.

Advertisement