Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Serial hybrids?

• 29-10-2021 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So I'd like to know: are any serial hybrids on the market now? Audi did this as "range extender" but looks like those models are not available anymore?

I just really like the idea. One drive train to service, not two. Conventional plug-in hybrids lug around two whole drive trains... why? But a full-on BEV has all those issues around range and battery longevity.

Comments

qashqai coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What's a serial hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

EV drivetrain with a petrol generator

Most PHEVs can power the car from either the electric or petrol engine, they're called parallel hybrid systems

In a series hybrid, only the electric engine powers the wheels. In turn it's powered by either a battery or petrol generator

The quashqai E power is an example coming out soon. The BMW i3 Rex and Mazda MX30 are others

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

mx30 is not coming

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

What would be the advantage? There's a lot of slippage between the flywheel and the road wheels. Locos are notoriously thirsty until cruising speed is reached.

50% engine efficiency claimed for the Qashqai and unlike for other Hybrids is reasonably credible.

Nissan have similar technology deployed on the Japanese version of the Note for years.

Getting rid of a gearbox/clutch is a big advantage in terms of cost and space reduction.

Motors are reliable. Gerboxes and clutches aren't.

isolation of cabin from drivetrain is easy too so refinement improves.

Maybe with a battery in between to stop the slippage it would be a good system. I’d love to drive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It's a stop gap measure the industry would likely love to roll out along with phev. But emissions regs are going to scupper that as the eu prepares to put a nail in the combustion engine in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I don't think its any great difference between the 2, the series has both motor and generator using scarce resources while the parallel has a gearbox and a motor/generator, I cannot see that great of an improvement over the standard Toyota type hybrid.

Better use of this system would be like the i3 rex, bigger battery and a smaller engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

You can buy the older generation e power notes that they are importing from Japan.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I always thought the i3 Rex was a great idea where there is poor infrastructure.

Seems as the ranges of the EV go up and infrastructure go up, the generator is seen as dead weight.

Yeah I would prefer to see more REX's instead of PHEVs. All the goodness of an EV but can still cope when the infrastructure isn't there

I think it'd be great to see REX's on the likes of emergency vehicles or off-road vehicles. They can go electric when they've the opportunity but if needed they have a petrol drivetrain as backup

I also like the idea that you don't have full power with the petrol engine, so unlike a PHEV you can't drive it in petrol mode only without a performance hit

The series hybrid always runs the engine at its most economic speed. That is where the efficiency comes from. The reliability comes from not having another wear item in the drivetrain i.e. gearbox and clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks!

I really don't want a SUV like Qashqai, so I guess the only chance for me to own a series hybrid is a Japanese-import Note ePower. A check of Carzone shows that nearly all stock of these cars in Ireland is offered by one company, Kylemore Cars. Looks like they have the import from Japan going.

Too bad the ePower is not plug-in and would not give one a 40-50km electric-only range like existing parallel plug-in hybrids.

EDIT: also some BMW i3 Rex cars are available, but the mileage on them looks scary. Of course the drive train is supposed to be more reliable, but the battery and the small Rex motor, not so much? The Rex seems to be pretty much my ideal car by design, wonder why it's no longer available.

BMW felt it wasn't really a BMW. So are concentrating on electrifying their mainstream cars. Bit daft if you ask me. They should have made a more normal looking car without the weird doors and with the Rex.

I think they realised the powetrain was so good it would render all of their other cars obsolete so they decided to focus on PHEVs instead

The same drive train is in the mini though compromised by the size of the car and battery. Afaik.

Should this be retitled Series hybrids?

• Advertisement
Advertisement