Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar surplus diverted to electric storage heater

Options
  • 29-10-2021 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Has anyone considered using \ diverting surplus solar into electric heat storage? I'm expecting replies like 'just get a\nother battery' but for bright, cold winter days, just thought I'd be another option to soak up surplus for evening use. (could just run an electric fan heater for immediate soakage!). then again, it's a storage medium that's pretty much obsolete >6mths of the year....

(yeah, work is slack today! 🤣)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I did have a smart plug running an oil heater at my parents in an outside office before getting a battery fitted. (Set at the low setting)

I had already the monitoring setup to allow me to do this. It was just a matter of flashing the smart plug to tasmota so it could easily be controlled over mqtt (and node red)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

Looks like some people are using the myenergi eddi to accomplish this.

https://myenergi.info/storage-heater-for-a-eddi-unit-t1529.html

You could have output 1 attached to your immersion in your hot water cylinder and when that reaches temp it will switch to output 2 which could be attached to the heater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

that sounds like what I'm after, could use a storage type heater upstairs. I'll get on to myenergi and ask if they've any guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Was looking at this a while back so let us know how you get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

realised that this heat storage route only makes economic sense if you can get a cheap 2nd hand unit, otherwise it's a costly one-trick pony that you'll only really use for 4-6mths.... so back to sourcing another battery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Since we're brainstorming, what about Bitcoin/etherium mining ? Have it so that your smart plug is configured to power on a PC when the surplus is (say) 400-500 watts for 15 minutes, then in your startup folder you have your mining software execute. When the surplus drops for 15 minutes (to avoid the single cloud scenario) then you "shutdown -m <computername>".

Just a thought....it would use your surplus, and on the bonus side you might make a few coins out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think bitcoin mining is just about pointless now even when the power is free, the difficulty is so high that you won't be able to get anything out of it before it clouds up again

Ethereum is making a change soon that you'll have to pay some Ethereum soon to mine or something like that. I think it's an effort to stop people doing casual mining and favour the dedicated mining hardware

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I already do this. It gives you much more money than any FIT would. But, it only makes financial sense if you already have a powerful enough GPU lying around for other reasons, e.g. gaming, video or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You and me both mp3guy :-)

Again, it's a viable way to burn some surplus if you have it. Even aside surplus, you get about 3x-4x the cost of the electricity back in the coins. It's a little off topic but there is a whole cryptocurrency folder on boards.ie if anyone is interested (I've never looked myself as its more a hobby than a serious income stream for me) .....but any decent card in the last 3 years would yield you a few quid a day. Newer cards like a 3080Ti or a 3090 are about €5/day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement