Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Couple of updates from Tony Connelly,

That is the UK statement, you can select the link for more tweets. The EU reply,

Feels like we have been here before, where both sides are not going to move. Will have to see how this develops but anytime these type of deadlines have been approaching then a solution has been found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Text of the Commission statement. Fair play to them, about time they laid down the law to Frost and the Brexiteers :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Feels like we are finally entering some sort of end game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

The UK has knight + pawn. The EU has queen + rook + knight + pawns and the UK thinks the EU will resign the game any time now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Careful. I thought the same in 2019. I was jubilant that it was over. How wrong I was. It's nice to see the EU drop a modicum of its polite demeanour and show just a small amount of steel.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

I don't know, Do enough people in the UK believe the S**T is actually hitting the fan, or are enough distracted by "British warships may board French fishing trawlers" headlines to let the farce run on for a while yet. The fact that there's no realistic alternative to Johnson may be his best strategic move yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,081 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The people who are looking can see it and the ones who are never going to see it can't. Polls would indicate a turning middle though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

I hope so. Although I think this may have some room to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Will Brexit lead to the demise of the UK? At least, a united Ireland seems pretty likely, whatever happens to Scotland.

I think one of the consequences of brexit will be that it will lead to a fully independent Scotland and Irish reunification IMHO.

• Advertisement

For certain : I can't see how the four nation UK can survive Brexit. It's clearly a right wing English nationalist project, meaning the Scots and Northern Irish have little or no future inside the union.

I would agree with that. Even in Wales it was the influx of English that swung the brexit vote there. About 21% of the population of Wales was born in England and in the border and central areas where they English are in biggest numbers those were the places with the highest leave vote. Contrast that with the Welsh speaking areas which had high remain votes.

I can only conclude that Cameron thought the referendum was literally impossible to lose. Any sort of close result and the Celtic nations vetoing Brexit would leave the UK at high risk of the union breaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

They all thought like that. They were all cocksure it'd be an easy win. Something like 90% of MP's voted for the Brexit Bill, think only the SNP & Corbyn didn't. Was the reason none of them bothered to build in any safeguards into the process. Mad stuff.

Which one was the Brexit bill ?

If that was Article 50 then Corbyn didn't vote against it. He abstained from Johnson's bill but that was at the time he was suspended

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This amused me this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The more this Tory government shames itself, the more pro Scottish independence sentiment I seem to see on twitter. Scots (and of course millions of English) are embarrassed to be represented by these crooks and despite the economic risks of Indy, they are drawn to it so as not to carry the shame of being British these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Immigration did for Scottish independence as well.

A majority of Scottish people voted for independence

Also, the EU aspect was used to deliberately mislead people into voting to stay in the UK. People were told by Scottish Conservatives / unionists and the right wing press that Scotland would have to leave the EU if it voted for independence - the very same people who are now imposing their wretched Brexit on them.

The EU were complicit in that one all to placate the Spanish.

In hindsight they probably would have temporarily lost Scotland but kept England in the EU. Only speculation obviously but surely Cameron had to walk if Scotland voted to leave

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement

Barroso was unwise to make those comments, but that doesn't get the Scottish unionists or Tories off the hook for a moment - they were the ones who held the referendum and used the 'pro-EU' angle to keep the Scots in the UK.

And of course there were the Devo-max in all but name promises made that were never kept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cameron and Osborne were adamant remainers, you couldn't put a cigarette paper between them and the EU Commission at the time on most issues.

A majority of Tory MPs voted remain and their donor list was a copy of those who funded remain.

I'm adding that to your point rather than disagreeing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is no greater guide to the ultimate hypocrisy of Brexit, than the fact a mere 2 years prior, Unionists begged Scots to stay in the UK - lest they lose membership to the EU. The economic catastrophe of it all, if you could imagine. Scotland suddenly out of the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What Scottish conservatives and unionists were saying about the EU was factually true however.

If Scotland voted to leave the union in 2014 it would have been out of the EU, and the rUK would still be in.

Remember an EU referendum relied on the conservative party getting back into government in 2015.

So in September 2014 you not only did not have a Brexit referendum on the horizon but it was also predicated on the Tories getting back in power.

Brexit was a long way away in September 2014, Scotland being out of the EU by virtue of independence was not.

Scotland is likely to vote for independence whenever it next gets a chance, but that decision will come down to a single factor, EU membership, but there is no guarantee that membership will be swift or easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, an independent Scotland could apply to join with Norway in EFTA, which would be a good fit, certainly as an interim measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The sanctimonious drivel come out of Frost and Johnson about the French fishing disagreement.

Them calling out the French for failing to abide by a treaty and international law!

IMO it simply reinforces that there is no amount of negotiation or working with this crowd. They will do whatever suits, regardless of how that may be in complete contraction to their previous positions.

If it does happen and Scotland join the EU again the need for a border in England will have me wetting myself for weeks from laughing at the irony of the situation

I notice there is quite a big backlash against the Telegraph and others deliberately mistranslating a letter from the French PM to VdL about the fisheries dispute.. People rightly pointing out the motivation behind this is nasty and designed to whip up hate for the French.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bismarck and the EMS telegram springs to mind. The irony!

It's definitely not cool - deliberately mistranslating and misrepresenting what someone said in another language in order just to stir things up is not a good look. It seems solely designed to enrage the Brexit followers even further.

Well, the EMS telegram was intended to cause a war, and it did. Hmmm will the Telegraph messed translation lead to war? At least as trade war in my estimation. Macron needs it - he has an election coming up. (Look what the Falklands war did for Thatcher).

Johnson needs (another) distraction as the last one is now not working. Cannot remember which one was the last one, but if he needs another one, then it is not working. Brexit is going pear shaped, as is Covid with figures only climbing..

The EU are not taking the bait on the NI protocol. It is all going pear shaped. Perhaps something with Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Cameron was eurosceptic but became an unenthusiastic rational remainer when he was confronted with the reality of leaving the EU.

No Cameron was always massively pro EU but like many UK PMs he used it as a scapegoat and a way to play to a certain voter base. He was against the referendum he himself called for (actually 3 in total) which I think is a disgraceful way to hold any referendum (except Scotland)

May was an enthusiastic remainer - she wanted to remain in the cabinet as a senior minister. As for the EU - well I'm sure she was definite that Brexit means Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

The one that kicked it all off. MP's were queuing up to vote for it in big numbers. The SNP opposed it & a few abstained (e.g. Corbyn, Ken Clarke...)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33067157

It's a scary read looking back on it. Reminds me a lot of the Celtic Tiger where some people were making very good point which now look like they could read the future they are so accurate but at the time were told to "shut up or F off" by many

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Scots should firmly put the ball in England's court pre-referendum explaining that if England respects the Scotland/England relationship it will move towards a middle ground that would not require any discernible border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

That would be an interesting tactic, it would draw the UK back in tiwafs some form of customs union with the EU, possibly might persuade some regretful brexiteer voters to vote for independence in order to get the UK back in ?

Or am I talking gibberish

That is the great irony of brexit. Late in the day when it looked like the yes vote might carry the day in the 2014 independence referendum labour and the Torys got together to basically threaten Scotland with the above and then look what the English turn around and do just 2 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yeah something like that. It would give all non-UKIP types, across the political spectrum, an excuse to align more with the EU and it could be framed as pro-British rather than pro-EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

False. Cameron was soft Eurosceptic and flirted with and cultivated Eurosceptic support.

In his own words, he was "Eurosceptic – but not as Eurosceptic as you are”, as he put it to his first political boss.

The Guardian here for example talks about Cameron’s " lifelong soft Euroscepticism"

And Cameron was the one who put the Tories in the fringe far right bloc in the EU:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jun/22/conservatives-new-eu-group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, Cameron didn't wish the UK to leave the EU (which was still an out-there position at the time I believe). However I don't think you could hold positive views of the EU, and also get to be the leader of the Tories. Not possible. That was why the Conservatives left the centre right EU parliament grouping. They didn't feel comfortable in a group where most of the parties in it (like our own FG) would be very EU-supporting and position on the EU was important enough for them to prefer to align with authoritarian parties.

I suppose it does make Boris Johnson & his govt. look less like political extremists + obscures how much politcs of the UK has changed with Brexit to retrospectively claim Cameron was EU-friendly!

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Remember in this country back in c2008 -10 euro scepticism wasn’t an alien concept either . Definitely Cameron’s brand of euro scepticism wasn’t alien. I have a vague memory of Eamon Gilmore using tough talk about jean Claude trichet and how he will do what he is told at the height of the bailout. Sounded a bit outrageous at the time.

And then the famous Vincent Browne incident at the press conference with the EU central bank. Which gave him quite the profile boost that any politician would be proud of.

Actually it could be argued that Britain was a better EU member at that time than we were.

Johnson apparently once said that Cameron was far more Eurosceptic than anyone realised. He basically only wanted to remain in the EU for the trade aspect, but hated most other elements of the union. Didn't Sir Ivan Rogers say that he (Cameron) only wanted to be a partial member of the EU....one that was only in the outer rings and not part of the central core like France and Germany.

It's no coincidence that Brexit happened on his watch. He was the most Europhobic PM of the last 50 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anecdotal, but even prior to your 2008-2010 timeframe there was quite a lot of Euroscepticism amongst 'professional' people I knew, in the 'boom years' of say 2000-2007.

It came from a different angle - it was more of an attitude of "we've mastered the concept of a non-stop booming economy, why should be get held back by a combination of these new accession countries and old staid economies which aren't performing as magnificently as we are. We should have a bigger say in how its ran, and if not perhaps we should instead be looking to align more with other dynamic EU/nonEU countries".

Leaving the EU for closer alignment with the US is one I heard here from time to time "become the 51st state"

All from people who would be purely money driven

Would not want to be the 51st state if we end up like the poorest ones in the fly-over zone.

What possible benefit would we get from such a union?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah, lots of anger here at the time about the way the EU, and in particular German were treating us.

Well known political party which is currently the most popular in the polls very vocal about how evil the EU were,and fawing over Greece and their government at the time.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Surely you don't mean the same party that are currently using the DUPs anti EU stance as a stick to beat them with

• Advertisement
Advertisement