Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thru bolts or Thunder bolts

• 27-10-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Looking for some advice. Putting up a small roofed area 4m X 4m with 8ft high RSJ. Wondering what's thes easiest way to bolt them to concrete floor. Was thinking of using thunderbolt .

Wondering are they strong enough or would through bolts be better.

How long would I want to let concrete cure before drilling and fixing baseplates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭DBK1

I definitely be using the thru bolts for something like that. They'll be about twice the price but for the size of a shed you're talking about its only going to be an extra €70 or €80. Thunder bolts are fine for hanging a small gate on a mass concrete wall but anything more than that I wouldn't trust them.

Concrete should be left 28 days to harden but you'd probably get away with it a week or 10 days sooner than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Through bolts would be best for that job.

Id be giving the concrete a couple of weeks before drilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭qaz123

Thanks lads for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thru bolts or threaded bar and chemical anchor are your 2 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭qaz123

Haven't used chemical anchor before. What size threaded bar would you recommend. M12 would suit holes in steel baseplate but could enlarge them if I needed M16

Might work best because baseplate near concrete edge afraid thru bolts might crack concrete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just be aware if you go for chemical anchor you'll need to drill out a 20mm hole for a 16mm threaded bar, don't know if that would suit existing baseplate holes or not, even if you go for thrubolts I would use m16 for that size shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

careful with threaded bar , as strength probably unknown. At least with regular bolts, you will see the strength stamped on the heads, 8.8 10.9 12.9 etc

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement