Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the secondary teaching situation as dire as it's made out to be?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Just saw this on The Irish Times from last Friday. It tallies with what I've been told from management in my own school. So, as I said here ages ago, apply for everything you want as you'd be surprised at how desperate schools are:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/most-secondary-schools-receive-no-applications-for-advertised-teaching-posts-survey-1.4708072

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RWJ1995

Unfortunately I don’t have the LC Irish for Primary teaching so it wouldn’t be an option for me. Disheartening to hear but I did somewhat expect those subjects to be thinner on the ground than the core subjects, to be honest I was hoping the JC Business would give a leg up but I suppose every LC Economics teacher can teach it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ignore everything you read in the newspapers about teacher shortage and other such BS.

If they were any way decent they'd realise the process is very very nuanced in teaching.

"Crying out for subs" does not equate to subs having the pick of schools and security of tenure.

They'll be disposed of pretty quick once the system has had their way with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Just saw a History job on a VTOS scheme on Educationposts.ie for LouthMeath ETB. It was for 4.5 hours, covering a maternity leave. Or, rather, it was a vacancy to be put on a panel where 4.5 hours per week of teaching might appear at some stage.

The application form is 14-pages long, ten pages of which have to be filled out with specific information and examples for that specific 4.5-hour possible post. Here's the application form (E448): http://www.etbjobs.ie/index.cfm/section/job_results/

These complete pisstakers and dossers in LMETB deserve nothing but contempt for this. Ironically, Norma Foley is on RTÉ Radio 1 this minute talking about the shortage of teachers and the difficulty they have recruiting teachers. What a joke, disconnected, system bristling with disrespect and contempt for job-seeking teachers. Now, will any journalist highlight these miserable hours and these pfo application forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

"Unfortunately it looks more and more and more like the least important thing you can do, the least significant contribution you can make, is show up and teach your classes"

THIS 100%

The absolute guilt I feel when I just want to teach my classes and not get involved in another strategic committee set up by management but actually run by their favourites.

If I was in the position to jobshare I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I left another career to go into teaching.... I'm really questioning that now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Anyone get the sense the Bull5h1t Buzzword Bingo is on the way back.

I wonder how some brilliant teachers I had decades ago survived without "the latest and greatest thing in education is taking the world by storm". We're they all really that deficient without these teaching methods, would Socrates himself feel humbled in the presence of facilitator greatness during a JCT cluster meeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Fairly old teacher here .Theres a skip outside our school at the moment with a few 'overhead projectors' which were used to show handwritten images of 'acetate' sheets on a screen ...Real 1990s cutting edge teacher stuff...There's been a fair few 'innovations' since then . Ive survived them all so far .Was seriously tempted to take a hammer to the glass screen of the cast out device.I even showed it to a few students . Of course I can use the equivalent digital device today (PC with a big tv screen/data projector etc-the 'interactive whiteboard' was another bs cul de sac that must have enriched the wholesalers if not the kids' lives )If you dont have a healthy disdain for all this hardware you wont survive two let alone three decades(or the four the govt want you to which is frankly ludicrous) .A teacher with a textbook in their hands ...youve either got it or ya aint ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

God forbid there would be a power cut. The terror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While you might think that working 40+ years on an industry is ludicrous it is what is expected in all other industries. I agree with everything else you posted. However if you think you cannot survive 50 years in any industry you must start making provisions when you are you ger to retire early.

Gardai, nurses, prison officers now all cannot retire before 65. You can however make you own provisions. Most do not.

Retirement in your 50"s is very demanding. You lose a lot of social contact. However early retirement means you will have less that if you work until normal retirement age. Very few are willing to accept that

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement