Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small van

Options
  • 28-10-2021 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I need to rent a small van sometime. I'm talking about a van not much bigger than a car. But I have never driven a van before, is there much difference in driving a van considering I'm used to small cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

The only real difference is that you probably won't have a rear view mirror in the van. You will need to use the wing mirrors more.

If it's longer than a car, then just be careful turning in tight spaces. Allow more room to swing.

If it's higher than a car, be careful going into car parks, or anywhere with restricted height limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks. I was kind of worried about a rear view mirror alright. I'm guessing, new vans now would have sensors when it comes to reversing and parking, that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Might make more sense to just get a mam with a van . If you are in Dublin, you can rent small Van's with gocar by the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Yes, I'll look into man with a van. That might be a better option. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could practice in your own car by using only the side mirrors to navigate.

You can turn the interior mirror to the side so you can't use it.

Another thing to be aware of is that there is a blind spot when reversing out of parking in supermarkets etc.

If you will have someone with you they can help you with directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

My last two cars have been vans, if you know what I mean! I tax and and insure them as private vehicles. I'll never go back to cars. My first van was a Kangoo with a rear window so it had a rear view mirror. The current one (Kangoo Maxi) has no rear window. I find very little difference. I reverse using the wing mirrors, adjusting them if necessary. Never had a scrape. As regards height and length, even the Maxi is smaller than a lot of monster SUVs on the road. It can go anywhere a car can so there's no difference in carparks, toll gates etc.

OP, you might find yourself considering joining the vandriving fraternity once you've given it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jyber

Is anyone familiar with which small van will take a cube IBC tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

The Kangoo will - if it hasn't changed dimensions since I had one 2009-2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Is it for the green diesel before or after it’s been washed? 😂

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jyber

Thanks Briciu.

Was it necessary to remove the pallet from underneath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

It may take it, but the van will be on it's axles with the weight, thats almost 1000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnthonyGiarrusso
    Executive Motivational Speaker, Paranormal Lecturer, Sales Professional, Author, & Beach Traveler

"Small van" is an oxymoron. That is like saying "Giant Shrimp." If you are going to get a van at all, buy the biggest one you can afford. Vans are for space and storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Or get the right sized van for what you need? Fuel consumption, ease of parking etc are as much of a factor for vans as they are for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnthonyGiarrusso
    Executive Motivational Speaker, Paranormal Lecturer, Sales Professional, Author, & Beach Traveler

If you get the biggest, you will always have enough space. Not worried about fuel consumption, new vans get better fuel mileage than 20 years ago. I'd say it give more freedom than parking a car. Yes you can park in somebody's driveway or in a parking lot, but vans can park anywhere if you remember to put your bright orange traffic cones out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The OP wasn't looking to buy a van at all.

They wanted to rent a small one and were concerned about driving it because they only had experience of driving small cars.

Advertisement