Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€500 Bike upgrade

• 27-10-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Long time reader and once contributor but probably haven’t done so in 10 years!

I have a 4 year old Giant Defy 0 which I love and I keep in good condition. Nice Ultegra group set and stock Giant wheels. I cover between 2-3000km yearly with duathlons and sportives thrown in there too.

I’d love a new bike but just can’t find a reason to change. So my question is… with a budget of €500 what would you change? Is the answer simply wheels?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

New wheels the biggest outlay.

In the if it ain't broke department. Cockpit area, new saddle, bar tape, handlebars?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

100%.

Different wheels would make the biggest difference.

The PR-2 wheels that Defys were stocked with are a solid but weighty wheel.

With an outlay of €500, you would expect to either drop half a kilo or improve aerodynamics (and drop weight to a lesser extent).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd be able to buy a pair of zondas with that money, and have spare left for new tyres. they'd be one of the stock suggestions for wheels at that price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

I changed the stock wheels on my defy to zondas and it made a huge difference. They feel great on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublindefy

Thanks, I don’t really know where the PR-2s fit in the hierarchy but assumed at the lower end

Would you have a link?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Just echoing all the other posters. A €500 wheel upgrade will make a huge difference to your bike. At that price they should weigh around 1500 g. There are several popular options.

Campagnolo Zonda

Mavic Ksyrium

Fulcrum Racing 3

I have the Mavics and they are night and day compared to the stock wheels I got with my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Here's a link to the Zondas

Thanks folks, appreciate the input.

Just need to decide from the options above now 🙂

Never heard of them, good to have an Irish alternative to wiggle.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I have a defy advanced 2 2020. There have been changes to the bike since 4 years. D fuse technology is now in the front and as with your model the seat post. Also, much bigger tyre clearance, i can get 35s on mine so i have the pr2s with 35s for gravel and hunt carbons with 4 seasons 32s with room left for full mudguards for the road. Id say with bigger tyre clearance and d fuse in the handlebars its more comfortable than an older model but they are near 3k now so its not worth it tbh. I don't know if your model has the conduct brake system on the front but most that do hate it. If it does, then it might be worth upgrading to a new bike.

If not, i have hunt aero 33s that weigh 1350 and completely trasform the bike to another level. The pr2s are rubbish and im still wating on a warrarty replacement rear wheel that's going on since i bought it in may 2020. It works ok but the rear hub was overtightened in the factory and it makes and intermittent noise every now and then. Giant have admitted that many defys and liv models in 2020 have overtightened rear hubs.

A stunning bike and ill be holding onto it for many years to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have bought off them (well, him, really, i suspect) once or twice, seems like a very decent type. plus, that price will be hard to beat.

Nothing like new wheels, but new bar tape is second in life's simple pleasures. I love the whole process of taking the old stuff off and wrapping the cables while putting the new one on, except that one time when I for got about the cables and had to re do it 😪

there's always the seondhand route too, if you'd be comfortable inspecting and buying secondhand wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

Get in touch with Lukasz in Apex Cycles in Kildare. He made me up a set of wheels with DT-Swiss hubs and rims which have vastly improved my bike. Most I have ever spent on an upgrade but well worth it.

Or Robin Seymour in Expert Cycles and I am sure others can recommend people they have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

For that money, I've been eyeing up set of Scribe wheels as well. Irish company too.

https://scribecycling.eu/collections/alloy-rim-brake

Advertisement