Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accelerated Capital Allowances on EVs

• 19-10-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Trying to figure out if the ACA for EV applies only to the purchase of new EVs or if it also covers used EVs but getting mixed messages on the SEAI site. Anyone here have any experience on the matter? I'm a Sole Trader, if that matters.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't have experience but my guess is that it won't be allowed for a used EV since that will have already availed of purchase grants

Best approach is to probably email SEAI. You'll also need to get your accountant on board, since I believe they need to claim the ACA as part of your tax return

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It does very much matter that you are a sole trader when it comes to this. As you are a sole trader you are the legal entity, so you are buying the vehicle in your own name, you are not buying it via a company.

The SEAI website isn't very clear on this (especially for sole traders), I guess one of the reasons is that ACA's are a revenue instrument. I was not able to find a definitive answer to whether the vehicle needs to be new or if ACAs could be claimed on a demo model etc. I think with ACAs for this or any other purchase an element of judgment is required, if you do have an accountant they should be able to advise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

3. Conditions The energy-efficient equipment must be new.....

From this document page 4

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-09/09-02-04.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gumbyman2000

Hi guys - thanks a mill both of you for the replies here. Innrain that doc was very useful - hats off to you for finding that! I have just logged a call with Revenue on the new / used question (although I think I know the answer to that one now) and also whether it applies to Sole Traders. I will update this post with the response. Thanks again for taking the time, much appreciated.

Advertisement