Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4400 (CW - US Pace) *Spoilers for latest episode*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Apart from a couple strange decisions, first episode has me interested enough to watch more.

For something that's supposedly a big deal, they only have a handful of security guards, yet loads of police, etc turn up to bring in someone who escaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What struck me was the race reversal. The 4400 (original series) was whiter than white, apart from Mahershala Ali and Megalyn Echikunwoke.

This is almost the exact opposite. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Is it a bit heavy handed with the "white people bad" trope, though? Maybe.

I liked it though, I want to see more.

I don't think we needed to hear the woman in the phone say the one at the door was black. They could've just shown her on the phone without hearing what she's saying. It's not like we couldn't figure out who she was talking to.

So the powers I saw so far

Healing woman

Telekinesis? From the one who moved the cameras.

Whatever powers the quiet guy had

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Agreed with @Mr E black actor overload on this - shouldn't it be on the BET channel

Acting and dialogue is a bit sub par to me as well

The reviews for it are not very complimentary - will give it a few episodes but certainly hasn't hooked me with the pilot and really liked the original series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

This feels a lot like the new wonder years. Having the cast nearly all white in a country where the majority are still white can be seen as brave but also limit your audience. Batwoman seems to have gone the same way, maybe its something they are pushing on the CW. I can't say I was a big fan of the original 4400

• Advertisement

So two episodes in and nothing is happening - I don't remember the original taking this long to actually start telling a story

Blaxploitation comes to mind with the show, very much like the new Equalizer show, white actors have small bit acting parts normally being the big bad - the whole premise of the show has already jumped the shark from the premise

Reminds me of Lovecraft Country in ways - cancelled after one season

Ahh well, had high hopes but not bothering watching more - 99.9% chance it's gonna be cancelled, terrible reviews and viewership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

That's a real shame. I was a massive fan of the original show. It really seemed like The X-files natural sucessor. I'll admit i haven't seen the reboot yet, but based on reviews and trailers it looks like an "insert current day politics here" show. It also looks insanely cheap by comparisson, crazy when you think the original was from 2004...It's like a show designed for the twitter likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it's not great.

They'll need to advance the story pretty soon or it's in trouble.

Well they had a white returnee this week, but he's the token gay guy.

They don't seem to have brought racism into it yet but homophobia seemingly directed at the gay character.

I wonder if this show is a victim of the pandemic which is why no one is allowed to leave the hotel. Cut down on the number of filming locations.

We've got ones there who are from over half a century ago at least and apart from a couple of moments in the first episode, seem to have adjusted. But we won't see the person out of time story until they actually go out into the world. And they don't seem to be in a rush to let that happen.

It's that doctor transgender or something, scene last night I was sure he was a woman, the face wasn't right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they are trying too hard to be seen to be PC with most of the cast from various non white races or LGBTQ and even the white girl has a disabled hand

Terrible plotline, cheap and will definitely be cancelled after first season

I'm out after 2 episodes

Could this be the beginning of getting them out of the hotel?

Not sure what Ladonna's power is. Looks like she can make anything appear, though why did the phone disappear again?

Is anyone still watching this? Has it got any better?

I somehow managed to get through to the final - and what a final, dancing giant chameleons, a set from the original Quantum Leap, white supremacy destroys the world - this was top tier TV entertainment

I will be shocked if this gets renewed

Did they leave the hotel yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If you've seen it, do they use any plotlines from the original series?

Advertisement