Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to put a cattle tag back on ?

• 18-10-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Cattle tag fell off, I have it. How do I put it back on?

I have the tagging tool but no inserts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You need to order a replacement tag from either Mullinahone Co-OP or Cormac Tagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Or borrow a tagger that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

As Bass said you need to purchases a new tag, this will bring you the Mullinahone Web page to order same. https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/#/product/CAT003

The biggest joke of the of the whole lot is if you order 2 replacement tags at the same time it raises a red flag.

Dept official down here always warns people at inspections of it.

About 3 weeks ago there was one of the biggest operators here got an inspection and he was told it was because he ordered 2 replacement tags.

• Advertisement

The same happened to a elderly neighbour a few years ago. He keeps about 15 suckler cows and has names on them all but is sort of a mean fella with money. One of the cows lost a tag and he didn't order a replacement cause he didn't want to pay the postage for one tag. He told me himself that he held out and if/when she lost the second one then he would order both. He didn't realise that it would trigger a cross compliance inspection.

Actually the same dept inspector said the golden rules are never not order tags and never order a pair of replacement's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I've ordered both sets twice and there was no consequence. One was for a cow during a tb test, the Vet said not to order both. I went ahead anyway (she had a DNA tag in her ear). The other was for calves, when I mixed up tags between a bull and heifer calf - it had to done as they were registered before tagging, (which you are not supposed to do either)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had an inspection here a couple years ago and I asked the department vet about ordering pairs of tags and inspections, he said that's a myth. They prefer if you order them As needed and if it's a pair you need so be it. I ordered a pair yesterday.....I ordered a pair a month ago, I needed 1 tag but it was for a loopy bull, I was afraid if I messed up tagging him with it and closed it before putting it in his ear I wouldn't be able to sell him

Different counties & dept officials obviously have interpretation of the rules so. Any chance you send a few down this way!!

• Advertisement

Years ago when the brass tags were used for cattle and the silver tags for suck calves I remember seeing a lad with an adapted vice grips thingie for changing tags. In those days I think they used to swap tags for cattle & calves coming from the North and visa versa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:

Lads, cut out the stupid stuff! You know well enough what NOT to post!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Indeed, every regulation in farming has been brought on by farmers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It was well known that a local cattle dealer here, had one of those pliers to remove tags.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The Dept are well aware of what used to happen which is why any sign there might be of a tag being reused, will be assumed to be malicious regardless of how justifiable it might have seemed at the time.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

I think higher quality tags should be higher on the departments minds than someone buying 2 tags at once.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

No problem with ordering a single pair but 2 pairs does red flag for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lots of complaints about sheep tags too yet we tag every lamb at birth and every replacement ewe lamb at 6mths but we seldom lose a tag. Tag them near the head out of harms way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Deeper into the ear the better but makes it harder to read when they're cows.

Have ordered pairs a good few times without issue. It might depend on your activity, we only buy the odd stock bull? I remember registering twins would bring out someone to look at them before and that hasn't happened in a long time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

If you have more than two or is it three sets of twins (can’t remember which) you will get an inspection to check that they are twins. I think that if you don’t order replacement tags for a certain length of time it can trigger an inspection also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes 3 or more sets of twins can cause a lad to call to look at them, had it here 1 year & to of the sets had 1 red & 1 black Lm each. The department man (who has been out a few times & is seriously sound) was laughing & slagging that they definitely looked mixed up only for he seen 1 set drinking the cow.

I order replacement tags from Cormac Tags, 7.50 euro in total.

When I got the cattle into the crush I noticed that this one bullock had no tags at all, unbelievable, all others had no issues.

When I ordered I was surprised that it did not look for verification of ownership, even though I don't know how this is proven. I will wait and see what happens here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't be advertising that fact too widely if you know what I mean. To the best of my knowledge you can only order tags for cattle on the herd profile of that account. Eg. You can't order tags for cattle in someone else's herd off your account.

Yes that makes sense. I am the keeper in this case

The tagging companies have partial access to your DAFM herd profile as in the animal that you ordering the tag for must be in your herd at the time of ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There is no way you can order tags for cattle, from someone else's herd.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭green daries

I presume that they asked him for his herd number or they accessed his account through his phone number etc most of the information Pop's on screen when the customer rings and they have access to ensure the animal is in the person's herd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭green daries

And did not you enter a password and pin number

• Advertisement

No. I created an account. I bought the tags. All I had is herd number and tag number.

Maybe it does not work, I'll ring them tomorrow

Advertisement