Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to identify weird 90's UK butter ad.

Options
  • 02-07-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭

Ive mentioned this elsewhere to no avail. Wonder if this rings a bell with anyone? TV commercial for butter or spread which aired circa between 97-99. It might have been for Utterly Butterly or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. The ad seemed to be inspired by Monty Python TV series with shades of the Goodies plus an element of grindhouse movie in particular Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was deliberately shot to look like it dated from the 70s with slightly washed out colour and retro fashions on the actors. There were short fake continuity links like the ones on Python, these had a guy who looked like Graham Garden circa 1970 outdoors holding a microphone and he had a Scottish accent. One line of his i remember was "well, good news".

It ended with this attractive blond woman in a mini skirt and 60's style knee high boots ironing in a kitchen and smiling inanely at the camera. We see a big hole being cut in the door by a chainsaw from outside and this small gibbering guy in goggles comes through it and points at the woman. A larger guy comes through the hole and pushes him out of the way then glares around the room. It then cuts to the woman's reaction shot. There's a freeze frame on her face and she does this exaggerated look of shock with her hands up to her face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The 70s style TV continuity guy with the Scottish accent looked exactly like Graham Garden in this picture, down to the sideburns and glasses.

6308.jpg

Forgot to update, found out its Move Over Butter by Kerry so it was an Irish ad campaign. This isn't the exact ad but its part of the same series.

Another one here at the 1:34 mark. Its not the one with the 60's housewife but a different one that I'd forgotten about. Also has the Pythonesque Viking.

Edit: thought Id already mentioned the Viking but see now I didn't.

Advertisement