Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shorts = saddle sores.

Options
  • 24-10-2021 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭

Treated myself to new Assos shorts, have been using DHB shorts to date.

have worn them twice and ended up with sores each time. Wore the DHB in between the two times and never had a problem.

Any ideas or am I just stuck with them now given they have been worn twice and washed three time now. They fit me ok. Such a waste if I can’t use them.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they bunching up on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Good point, not that I have specifically noticed though. They don’t feel as tight fitting as my other shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For openers I'd be concerned that sizing is too large and as mb said, they may be bunching in all the wrong places.

Next, I'd be checking the padding. I've never used Assos but (FWIW) I bought a pair of Endura FS260 Pro last Feb and another pair in April. I've been using Endura for years. In May I got a sore. I checked the padding insert and it was split in the right groin area and was pinching my skin. It wasn't a visible fault but I could feel it with my fingers - very difficult to show in a photo. I contacted CRC and they sent a replacement as a goodwill gesture. After a couple of months both the replacement pair and the ones purchased in April developed the same split in exactly the same place. I contacted CRC again and had to return them. Money refunded a week or so later. So it's worth checking the insert by feeling for a split or defect - just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I had the same issue that I also finally attributed to a pair of Endura bibs. So I replaced them - with my first ever pair of Assos (sorry!).

As above, I'd check for bunching first and foremost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

How did you find the fit on Assos. I am 6 foot 4 and 230 pounds and I went for size xl which I thought would be too small for me as I am usually Xxl with Castelli or DHB stuff but appears should a smaller size for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

How long have you had the old shorts?

I had a few pairs of Assos shorts for years but this summer got a pair from another brand. First time out with them I did 80 odd KM and they left me pretty raw on one side. Switched back to the Assos but tried the other brand again a while later on a shorter spin and it was starting to hurt the same way.

Long story short - I went for a bike fit not long after because I knew I was sitting to one side on the saddle. Ended up with a bit of a spacer under my right shoe which seems to have corrected the sideways thing. Have been able to wear the newer shorts with no repeat problem now.

The point is though I think my Assos shorts had been shaped into how i was riding slight off centre for years and a new pair of shorts just highlighted this issue.

On the Assos sizing - I also think I was on too large a size - I was using XL - I'm about 174 cm tall and about 78 kg. With the newer shorts I've gone down to a size large and while the shoulders of the bibs pull a bit tight when I am standing up I think when bent over on the bike they are a better fit - allowing less movement of the chamois.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'm 180cm and 83kg and went with L. I think I used a size guide or two and came up with that but I'm on the lookout off season for more if I can pick them up at a reasonable price. FWIW I got mine at Cycle Superstore.

Advertisement