Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to actively remove dead moss from a tarmac driveway?

Options
  • 21-10-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have a large tarmac driveway. 11 years old. The last 5 years has shown a huge problem with moss growth in shaded areas. Shaded by a wall or just low hitting sun. Its not trees or shrubs.

I have paid people to remove it in the past using an all singing all dancing biocide. But when it came to getting the dead moss off the tarmac the person failed and said he couldnt do anymore.

I have used washing powder, salt, back breaking days and weeks brushing . But nothing actually dislodges the dead moss from the tarmac drive.

I have currently tested all the de moss products in farm shops and stores. literally throwing money away. My problem is not killing the moss, its dislodging the dead moss and removing it.

I have now used neat bleach on a few test areas ( diluted didnt kill the moss ) . and it kills it nicely in 24 hours. But i have to use the power washer to dislodge it. I know im damaging the tarmac using the power washing so... im slow to go beyond the test square iv worked on.

Any real ideas for dislodging the dead moss. Wire brushes - iv tried. Iv dont the days and weeks of scrubbing and brushing. hands and knees stuff with a deck scrub even.

Theres a company "back to black" that for a price can come in using machines with wire brushes and can clean it. But i cant get a timeframe out of him about if it will stay clear or for how long. Is there a re sealer tarmac companies can put down if i do get this company in to clear it?

real advice appreciated...

Comments

This is available today ironically, don't know if that would do the job but it looks like it would be an enjoyable way to go about removing weeds.

edited for correction, a gas wand would probably be more effective. I thought there was a flame on that one. I'm sure it still would work on small scale jobs but wouldn't be as efficient as burning moss with an open flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

The guy I get has a machine that removed the moss as he washed it, comes up a treat & tarmac stays intact.

(Note: I get this process done yearly to clean the tarmac)

Company: Sean Maye landscaping

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A light power hosing clears it from my tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Find Patio Magic good to kill it. A damp moist overcast day is best. Couple weeks later dislodge with flat spade. Find it safer than chloris.

seen a wire brush type head for a strimmer which would be good. But it must be a bit aggressive so care needed.

Recently used a leaf blower for first time. Super job in fairness for lite loose dirt tidy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ariel kills it.

Washing powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's the easy bit. It's removing the dead moss that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this works quite well for me, but with a smaller space than you to deal with https://www.woodies.ie/block-paving-brush-set-1134630

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stihl make a power brush attachment for their Kombi system. I know a few contractors using them.

Advertisement