Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the rumors about teenage criminals true?

Options
  • 24-10-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello to everyone, I will move to Dublin from Turkey very soon. I will be working there and wanted to do some research before coming. The only news subject I came across was teenager murderers, thieves and pickpockets. I read a report that Teenagers killed a brazilian. And they received no punishment. Or it said they killed a homeless person with their fists. In another news, I read that they tried to rob a tourist and broke his jaw when resisted. In another news, I saw that they pushed a woman onto the train tracks. In another news, I saw that they were throwing eggs at an Indian girl. I've come across people in several YouTube videos advising people not to walk alone. Different YouTube channels say that Teenagers steal phones and wallets. They add that in return for all this, the police unit called Garda was absolutely unhelpful. Rumor has it that the police openly say "we can't do anything", especially in the case of theft. Or that teenagers were never punished when they killed someone. I think this is against international law. Every country should be responsible for providing security, even for tourists. All these events in Dublin true? If true, why don't Dubliners intervene? Why does the police allow this to happen or the government does not take any viable action? I have a great opportunity for my career but unfortunately after all this news I got really nervous.

Post edited by HunterTR on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

It's all true but you'll be fine don't worry. It is the minority.

As an example, I've read a lot of stuff about Turkey, rioting, Erdogan is a dictator and didn't a muslim guy shoot up a beach a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HunterTR

Thanks for your reply.

Erdogan is a dictator. Europeans' respect for nature, living conditions, etc. Much better than muslims in Turkey. In short, if "Islam" is in question, it is more suitable for Europe. Turks have nothing to do with Islam. Just politics. Apart from all these, It is not my intention to comment on the reputation of the Republic of Ireland. I don't know enough to do that anyway. It only worried me to see such prominent news in the media about the country I will be moving to soon. Problems such as police not providing adequate security and not being held accountable for crimes committed by teenagers are very common on YouTube. That's why I wanted to come and ask you what is really true and what is not.

You'll be grand. The only reason that you see such stories in Ireland is that thankfully are uncommon so get lots of publicity. Much of what we think are uncommon, viscious crimes in ireland are pretty ordinary in Turkey. Look at the murder rate in this comparison.. Turkey;s murder rate is 3 times ours. https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Ireland/Turkey/Crime. The other crime stats i think don't mean anything as one would expect to detect 100% of murders

Well, actually, when I stop and think about it, these kinds of events can happen in any country. I'm just sure that when you call the police in Turkey, it will never go unanswered. Even the events are not left to the police. Everyone around intervenes in the situation. Or if you call the police in Germany, you will definitely get help. Or in the United States... But when I saw that there were security problems in the country I was moving to, as content on different YouTube channels, this worried me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You don't read the same sort of stuff about Istanbul, OP?

I never had any issues in Dublin since I moved there from abroad, and I really don't get the bad press it gets.

• Advertisement

My aim is not to defend Turkey, because if I ignore the existing problems, I may become ridiculous. But the demographic structure of Turkey has changed drastically in the last five years. Uncontrolled Syrian and Afghan immigration also increased the crime rates in the country. In addition, the worsening economic conditions and fluctuations in the exchange rate make people uneasy.This situation creates an intolerant society structure.Despite all this, I know that there is an active police force. I've never heard the police say "there's nothing to be done". But many people have talked about having this kind of experience in Ireland. It is said that the Irish police force did not take any action, especially regarding the theft of phones and bicycles in the city center. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly relieved that you've said that such incidents are not common or have not come across before. I was also surprised that a country like Ireland, which has a magnificent nature and a very unique culture, is referred to as such. I'm sure my Irish adventure will be safe. Or hopefully, I can't choose the right word... 

Let's live and see! 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You hear this about any capital city really. Try logging a mundane phone or bike theft in London or Paris and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

OP... extremely good English... not one word out of context, or misspelled .. you will be well able to talk your way out of anything...I'd say...like a regular irishman... 😉

Advertisement