Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Church - mass recommendations?

• 20-10-2021 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, can anyone recommend a nice catholic church mass in or around the city please? We are blow in's as such and not usual church goers but would like to go to mass this weekend as we have been recently bereaved and our loved one was a church goer... looking for a mass with a bit of flare.. maybe kinda folky or something.. nice music/choir - a priest with a bit of personality perhaps.. sincere recommendations would be v much appreciated.. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was at a funeral recently in the African Missions on the Blackrock Road and the priest was good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We are regulars at the Dominicans on Popes Quay. 9.30am Mass generally has a duo singing, 11am Mass generally has at least a cantor and sometimes a bigger choir. The priests rotate the schedule so I can't predict who will celebrate. I think the vigil Mass on a Sunday has a young couple doing guitar music, but I haven't been to that one in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for that - will check it out - had it in mind actually as a mate goes there from time to time

You're welcome. The 9.30am might not have the flare you're after, but it's a pleasant affair and there's many regulars each week. I think the 11am used to have the novices do the "smells & bells" - incense etc.

They were planning on bringing back a coffee hour after Mass this weekend, but with the changes in the Covid restrictions I'm not sure if that's going ahead. As a blow in to Cork too, it was a useful way to meet people if that's something you wanted.

Also, some of the Dominican priests tend to be at the door to meet & greet.

Drop me a PM if you wanted to scope anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DylanQuestion

I'm not sure if the choir is still singing during Coronavirus but the priest in Rochestown Church is a great person, very real and down to earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The problem with the Dominicans was on Pope's Quay is that while they may have great time for their own community, they showed scant regard for the wider community during lockdowns. I, personally, witnessed them holding a scheduled service when they were illegal and also heard football training going on on their grounds when this was also illegal.

I know I replied to your post in the Cork COVID thread at the time re the religious ceremonies (wherein I suggested you may have seen their community prayers with the "bells & smells" - obviously I don't know what you saw so you correct me there). However, football training on their grounds - huh? They have a pretty small garden area and then an even smaller concrete area. Not sure how someone could train there and moreover who would train there.

Ok, I saw what seemed like far too many people entering at around the same time to be random people going in to pray. I took a look in and saw a priest at the lectern leading some sort of service (perhaps not mass). I called the Gardaí but didn't hang around to see what happened. This was the second time I suspected scheduled services going on.

Regarding the training, whatever the space they have, the sound of a group of people kicking a ball about is unmistakable as is the sound of physical activity and teenage voices. I could clearly hear this going on over the wall on Dominic Street.

There is (was) a priest there who is a former Man United player (I'm sure you know this) and they regularly bring kids in to train and play football (or they used to). This was going on at a time when all sports training and social gatherings were not allowed.

I have no time for groups who made up their own rules during this pandemic be they, religious groups, sports clubs, bars, restaurants or whatever. My personal, observations of the Dominicans on Pope's Quay, puts me in no doubt that they were in that category. I would swear on oath, if asked to, that what I have said here is true.

Regarding the "community prayers", suggestion : no scheduled worship was allowed - only personal prayer, no led activities. How could you have "community prayers with bells and smells" without scheduling it? This was a organised meet led by a person dressed like a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Called the Guards and legged it...good man..proper little curtain twitcher.

Bet you stood safely behind the teacher at school pointing fingers.

Ok - I follow. Without trying to be flippant - I have nothing to say; no idea what they organised / why they did etc so I can't comment.

re the football, there is a school operating on the premises so perhaps it was their PE classes? Again, not sure of timelines here as I am aware the school stopped operating when other schools did.

I'm well aware of Fr Philip, but I am not aware of them bringing kids in for soccer training and have never heard suggestions of same before now.

re the community prayers, they were allowed use their own church for their own services as a community - distinct as from organising a public mass.

• Advertisement

"Called the Guards and legged it...good man..proper little curtain twitcher.

Bet you stood safely behind the teacher at school pointing fingers."

I felt it was my civic duty to call the Gardaí and i would do the same in similar circumstances, again.

If I was really a curtain twitcher, I would have hung about to see the result. I had no reason to hang around nor any fear of doing so, so I got on with my evening. Simple, really.

I don't recall any such events you describe at school but thanks for your input - I'm sure you believe it has some value.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

This will be my final comment on the matter as its not leading anywhere.

Schools and sports clubs were closed at the time. These people were, unquestionably, holding sports related activities on their grounds with kids at a time when it was not allowed.

It wasn't just mass that wasn't allowed. It was any scheduled worship with a leader. No services were allowed. So, whether you call it community prayers or mass, it wasn't legal. The also shouldn't have organised musicians to lead any worship.

As I said in my first post here, it showed me that they have little regard for the wider community outside of their religious community.

Ok - fair. Happy to pick up in PMs if you wanted etc. Genuinely always good to have a discussion with you on boards.

That's very decent of you to say. And I return the compliment!

Really, I think we have it covered. I can see why people are attracted to this particular church and its sense of community , but I just wanted to tell people what I observed during lockdowns which I found rather hypocritical.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't have any input on this thread at all, but I just wanted to say fair play on your posting style there. It always warms my heart to see decency on the internet, especially when it's often not the case when people disagree.

era that doesn't bother me... if I went down that road I would have had to get rid of a few mates; have a few who flouted the restrictions too.. and in any event, i am far from the perfect practicing catholic; i am not even a regular church goes.. I just wanna do something that I think my Mum would like.. but some might say I am being a hypocrite myself..

but thanks for the information..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭PreCocious

My one gripe with that church are the signs ordering the homeless not to pitch tents on the steps. It would possibly be more Christian to have signs up offering help.

Again, happy to take this up via PM as I have first hand experience of some of the issues that presumably led to those signs but it’s important to share that I am aware of the community assisting the individuals and offering help.

thanks we are gonna go to mass there tomorrow eve..

While it's obvious that I'm no fan of the Dominicans, I always felt that they were between a rock and a hard place regarding people living in tents on their steps.

Some of these people were causing pretty serious public order and social issues. If the church condoned or encouraged this, they would be seen as socially irresponsible but if they discouraged it, they'd be seen as uncharitable.

I don't see what they could have done, really. There were some really dodgy, dangerous folk camped there at one time.

• Advertisement

Went to the 6pm mass last night - gee twas exactly what I was looking for.. the singing and music was just lovely.. and really liked the way the priest spoke during the homily; v down to earth.. really helped me - might even become a regular..

We even had a nice chat with Fr. Philip after the mass.. (that was v informative)

The Choir will be back on Sunday's now too.. so might check out an 11am mass some Sunday though the 6pm Sat eve mass suits us perfectly..

Thanks for the recommendation 😊

You're more than welcome - glad it suited you and you found what it was you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭PreCocious

I suppose for me it was yet another example of the church visibly straying from the teachings of Jesus (who they claim existed and is their Head Man).

We know they're a cruel group - homophobic, full of pedophiles, small minded and what have you but with those signs they left nobody in doubt that they were un-Christian.

This is not the thread for this sort of carry on. Come on. As I said, happy to take up the issue of the signs via PM.

Advertisement