Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What company do you use to buy wine online?

• 22-03-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi, a few years back I bought a stock of wine from vinissimus. I contacted them and they no longer deliver to Ireland. What company do you use to buy wine online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

crossvilla wrote: »
    Hi, a few years back I bought a stock of wine from vinissimus. I contacted them and they no longer deliver to Ireland. What company do you use to buy wine online?

Definitely a "Follow with instant notification" thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is an irish based website, not sure of anywhere you can buy wine online from another EU country that will ship here.
    http://winesoftheworld.ie/

Minimum order 6 bottles, no delivery charge - at least last time I used that was the setup.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

Thanks for replies. I'm looking for below off licence prices for a bulk order. I also contacted Decantalo and they stopped delivering to Ireland due to tax and duties.

It would be great to know of a decent European wholesaler.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The cheapest you're going to find for a personal level of bulk order will be dearer than the deals supermarkets offer.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The cheapest you're going to find for a personal level of bulk order will be dearer than the deals supermarkets offer.

Thanks moderator. Of the 4 websites mentioned wineonline.ie seems to have the best price/variety for what I'm looking for. I was specifically looking for Rioja Crianza or Reserva from Haro.

If anyone else knows of a site that has a greater price/variety than above please add to thread.

For example Ramon Bilboa Crianza is €15 a bottle on wineonline.ie where I previously got it for €9.20 including shipping on vinissimus. Thanks for your help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭al2009

I've used curious wines before, good range and prices, next day delivery.

https://www.curiouswines.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's pretty much all of the online suppliers mentioned above. Bear in mind that all of these companies would have had an upsurge in orders the last few days so offers are going to be few and far between so the multiples would be your best bet.

Thanks for contacting us.
    Due to the high taxes the Irish government implemented on importing alcohol to the country we had to stop shipping to Ireland. The only option would be that you place the order and organise the transport yourself or that you would have your wine delivered to Northern Ireland or any other part of the UK in that case you would have a delivery address there.
    We are just as sad about this as you are and hope to be able to ship to Ireland again in the near future

Typical email from EU supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

al2009 wrote: »
    I've used curious wines before, good range and prices, next day delivery.

https://www.curiouswines.ie/

Except when getting a direct vineyard delivery :) This is the only place I buy from as they handpick their wines and import direct rather than buy from distributors/wholesalers.

They don't sell "cheap" wines, but you get great value and certainly if you are looking for a large order, call them or drop down to them and they'll both do a deal and suggest the wine that suits you best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Bill1097

I had the misfortune to order a presentation box of expensive wines from WineOnline as an anniversary gift for a relative. Apart from delivering the wine a week early (they included the delivery instructions in the gift message), I discovered purely by chance that they had delivered different wines to those advertised on their website which smacks of sharp practice. This may well happen regularly as recipients will not know what wines are being gifted. While their director was 'aghast' at their service, his concept of customer service did not extend to doing anything about it.

I will take your advice and try WinesDirect or O'Briens next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 steve1099

Just in case anyone is still looking for a decent online wine store in Ireland. We recently discovered Rainbow Nation Wines, a new company importing some incredible wines from South Africa that aren't available anywhere else in Ireland. We were sick of buying cheap new world wines in the supermarkets so this is a welcome addition to the Irish market. As you'd expect their prices are higher (most likely because we pay the highest excise and vat on wine in Europe), but you're paying for quality and it's definitely not the bulk mass produced shiraz's or pinotage we see so much of here, all wines so far have been superb, and delivery is quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Has anyone tried Winespark? You pay €10 per month but they say that their prices are purely at "cost" and they make their money through the monthly subscription fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Akula

Winespark are super. By far the best supplier I've dealth with. Small but very curated selection. Not cheap, but by far far the best value for money on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I use https://www.onthegrapevine.ie/ bespoke wines that they import themselves, really good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

For something different, I've used https://www.theallotment.ie/ the Maison Ventenac stuff is well worth it. The Dissenter's Mixed Case was a bit more as a treat but the l'diot was a nice surprise.

If anyone as a decent supplier of Robertson's Life From Stone, tho', please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

https://www.xtrawine.com/en

is the best I have come across. Essentially a Italian prices. Literally half price. 2 euro a bottle delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Advertisement