Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Its madness with us Hammer. We were unbeaten through the cup, drew one won the rest. Now we have to go win two championship games when we've only won one in three years or two in four. Resigned to Junior football next year tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

And to draw Ballinlough adds insult to injury. On paper, at least one of the two strongest teams in the relegation battle (both with relatively recent senior experience) will be relegated. And Junior is an absolute nightmare to get out of.

Aye, to be fair there's not much between any of the five teams in it, I'd have preferred just needing to win the one game anyway. Moylagh probably are in the best position, get an extra rest and a chance to look at the Pats Ballinlough match too, where you can be sure both teams will be flat out. Wouldn't suprise me if the winner of the first game end up going down anyway.

What has gone on with Longwood in hurling this year? Good thing they can't get relegated as they'd probably be in danger if they could.

Trim stay alive but they need to beat Kiltale in their final game and hope other results go their way if they're to make it to the knockout stages.

Simonstown put their terrible championship form behind them to win the Feis Cup for the first time, beating Wolfe Tones 3-8 to 8 points.

Trim won the Corn na Bóinne, beating St. Pat's 0-20 to 2-13.

Vincent's retained the Tailteann Cup, beating Castletown by 6.

Moynalvey are safe in senior after beating Navan O'Mahonys in the relegation quarter final.

Walterstown and Dunderry through to the IFC quarter finals with wins against Clann na nGael and Ballivor respectively.

Moynalty made it to the knockout stages of the Junior football championship by beating Dunsany who were already guaranteed to be top. Ultans seem to be coming into a bit of form after making sure of second place with an easy win over Slane.

rpurfield, was it yourself refereeing the Ultans v Slane game?

• Advertisement

Yeah that was me doing that match. Ultan's were impressive now, started like a train the first 10 minutes or so won it for them.

14 Meath players nominated for the ladies All Stars.

The County Board have had a busy week off the field too, Barry Horgan being appointed Head of Football development, John McCarthy stepping up to the 20s and Cathal O'Bric taking this year's Minors as a development squad ahead of their stint at 20s (but I'd expect a couple will flesh out the McCarthy squad too). Noel and Valerie Moran of Bective Stud will also be sponsoring all the underage teams, and have their logo on the senior jersey. I think that's all very positive stuff and bringing us in the right direction.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2021/09/27/horgan-appointed-as-new-head-of-meath-football-development-2/

Some joined up thinking from the county board by the sounds of it. While our underage teams did improve in the 2010s, we seemed to lose a number of them after minor so hopefully this will help address that issue.

Hopefully Pairc Tailteann gets moving soon too but to be fair I'd rather be winning things in a rubbish ground than sitting there in comfort watching regular hammerings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I can only imagine the increase in price now since the plans were first drawn up.

Building supplies are up all over the place, I seen the head of the CIF saying a couple of weeks ago there's a real chance of companies walking away from Public contracts because they're going to make little or nothing from them with the materials increasing in price. Pairc Tailteann hasn't even got near that stage has it?

I can see the plans getting shelved yet again, alright. I think it was always on the cards with the disappointing house draw returns.

Personally I thought the plans of a fully seated, fully covered stadium were a bit pie-in-the-sky anyway. The stand simply has to go and that should be the priority. It's an embarrassment and a danger when it's wet. If we could replace it with a modern, full length covered stand and then put concrete terraces at either end, that would be a massive improvement and would greatly increase the capacity of the ground. With Navan's location, it would serve as an excellent neutral venue for certain big qualifier games if we could get it up to scratch, which in turn would bring in more money in gate receipts.

The Leinster club draws were made yesterday.

The SFC champions will play the Dublin champions in the quarter final. The IFC champions will play the Louth champions in round 1 and would play the Kilkenny senior champions in the quarter finals if they were to get through that. The JFC champions will also face the Louth champions in round 1 with a tie against the Offaly or Longford champions in the quarter final should they win that.

The SHC champions will play the Offaly Senior B champions in the Leinster Club IHC quarter final. The IHC champions will play the Offaly Intermediate champions in the quarter finals of the Leinster Club JHC

Rumours abound that McEntee might be gone. If that's true then why on earth was it left until now, nearly three months after our last game when the football championships are in their final stages?

Utterly bizarre yet again from the county board.

Its coming from people you would expect to have the inside track. The board executive have voted against recommending him to the full board for ratification. I hope they have someone in mind and lined up, like you say the timing is terrible this could've been done in August if they want a change. Even if the full board want to keep him will he want to stay now?

Dunboyne through to the senior semis after pulling away from Cilles in the second half to win by 8.

Seneschalstown survive in Senior with a late burst to beat Dunshaughlin by 2. Dunshaughlin were 4 up 10 minutes into the second half but didn't score for the rest of the game.

Dunsany through to the Junior semi finals with a big 13 point win over Kilbride.

Kells are out. Donaghmore/Ashbourne seemed to blitz them in the first half and were 7 up at half time. Ashbourne coming into a bit of form at the right time having scraped into the last 8 on points difference.

Wolfe Tones also a team with some form, beating Na Fianna by 3 points. This will be their first time in the semi final since 2017.

In the IFC quarter finals, Walterstown surprisingly hammered Blackhall Gaels and Oldcastle had a good win against Nobber.

Ratoath through to another semi final but not without a major casualty with Conor McGill going off with what looks like a serious arm injury (adding to Eamon Wallace's injury). Just did enough against a tenacious Summerhill side.

Skryne and Simonstown secured their senior status with Curraha and Ballinabrackey needing to fight on.

In the IFC, Trim continue their (apparent) march to the IFC title with a big win against Dunderry. Rathkenny had a big win over Duleek/Bellewstown. St. Pat's live to fight another day in the relegation playoff with Ballinlough dropping to Junior next year. You'd expect Pat's should have enough for Moylagh in their second relegation playoff.

All big wins in the Junior quarter finals, with Dunsany, St. Ultan's, Carnaross and Vincents all through to the semi finals.

So Andy will learn his fate tonight. Have a feeling that the clubs will vote to keep him but the whole saga is yet another embarrassment for the county board. One of the best years for Meath with the minors and ladies winning All Irelands, and there being some semblance of a plan for the future only for this to happen.

Missed the Pat's match due to Communion in the house, it seemed relatively straightforward from what I read and heard. My only concern is Moylagh have got to put the feet up and watch it, I'm just hoping the regular games over the last few weeks since Moylagh last played will stand to them.

Closed shop tonight at the County Board too, no media in at it, so we'll all be kept in suspense. You'd wonder if the delegates go against the Executive decision where it leaves the executive.

• Advertisement

Ye have had two tough games against Trim and Ballinlough since Moylagh last played so you'd think that'll stand to ye. With three down again next year too, it'll be another tough ask (though you'd expect it to be three groups of 6 next season which may give you a better chance).

Emma Duggan, Vikki Wall and Emma Troy are the nominees for ladies senior player of the year. You could give the award to any of them and they'd deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

This is the most ridiculous decision worst decision Meath have made since 2010.

They have no one lined up. First McEntee has been 3 months yes 3 months getting ready for next year. He and his management team were had many of club championship games recently. They have already start to put panel together for next year and all the players have already got their strenght and conditioning programme from McEntee.

If they had someone lined up why didn't get rid of him early. He has been 3 months getting ready for next year. The vote was completely split. 8 to 7 against McEntee and nearly all the top executives on the board voted from McEntee. This is knee jerk response that goes back to the Flynn McEntee fallout. It's back to the 2010 2011 Banty style management voting fallout.

McEntee hopefully wins the vote tonight. He has added one best coach's in Ulster in last 20 year to his team. John McCloskey who coached Crossmaglen to 2 club All Irelands and Armagh to a senior All Ireland and 4 Ulster titles and league div 1 title. He also coached Derry to league div 1 title and has coached in IRFU with tean and was professional coach to English rugby club WASPS. Excellent addition.

To get rid of McEntee now be would reckless and very stupid. Div 3 football here we come. Players according to the national media want him to stay. Hopefully the clubs to the right thing. Remove Andy and we are the laughing stock once again. After a Meath rising in the summer, it would be horrendous way to end the year looking for a manager. Hopefully the clubs don't let the county down tonight and hopefully do their bit to continue a Meath rising by letting good passionate Meath man, the best Meath manager of his generation, whose doing a good job, continue to do so. If not and he is removed it would be act of treachery on Meaths present and future.

Andy won the vote Correct decision. Absolure ridiculous carry on by county board. This was total waste of time, and caused turmoil for days. Delighted for Andy and anyone with any cop on can see this is the best decision for Meath football. Onwards and upwards.

Glad sense was seen in the end. Unnecessary uncertainty over the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

The most interesting thing from the vote tonight is one of the club representatives spoilt his vote!?

Well there's a turn up! The 'Ha survive and Navan O'Mahonys are in a relegation final. Kilmainham survive with a 2-6 to 10 point win and Syddan are relegated to junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

This lad called the Don/Ash win 2 weeks ago at 11/4 also. They're running hot

I seen that Curraha price myself yesterday afternoon and thought it was decent. O'Mahonys are really struggling that comment about over 40s is harsh but not a million miles from the truth. They seem to have very little coming through though I seen their minors bet Dunshaughlin in the division 2 semi last night. I've reffed both them teams this year at different stages, both against the same team, and would've had Dunshaughlin well ahead of them. For O'Mahonys though it would seem that Simonstown are hoovering up the majority of talent in Navan now this long time.

Big one today for us at 4 in Walterstown. I'm hoping the regular games while Moylagh were resting up stand to us, but I would be wary. Its been a long time since we won two championship games in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭poppers

Omahonys minors were in DIV 1 championship this yr, they beat kells in divion 2 league final.

Skryne beat Dunshaughlin last night

Advertisement