Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock Links Winter Series

Options
  • 22-10-2021 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here played the Portmarnock Links Winter series? Sponsored by Taylor Made it’s open to pros and single digit amateurs. Lots of the top Amateurs and local pros (and even touring - Paul Dunne won one last year) seem to play. I’ve just about got single digit status and will come under pressure to keep it as I tot up towards 20 scores on WHS (currently 8 in the book) and I’d love to play a round with these guys to see how good they are and just how far away a mortal’s game is!!

Has anyone in my shoes played this before? Like I can clearly play to my handicap, so a high 70s low 80s round is well within my compass on a good day, but a bad day can creep well into the 90s!! I just wondered how welcomed I’d be as I’ll clearly be miles off the best lads, especially off the tips.

its 45 to play, which to be honest given Corballis charge 35 for their “race to 59” open seems like a no brainer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

Go for it. I doubt they'd mind. Even on a bad day you won't be a total hacker.

I always love Dermot Gileece's story about his first time playing with one of the Irish pros (I'm going to say Harrington, but could be wrong). He was obviously worried about making a tit of himself so practiced loads before the round. First tee - what would you reckon happened? He nailed his drive down the middle of the fairway, couldn't have hit it better. He was delighted with himself, but it didn't get any reaction from the pro. And then it dawned on him - his Sunday best shots weren't going to impress someone playing every week on the European tour. 250 yards down the fairway is a mishit to these guys. Whether he was playing with someone off 10 or 20 didn't really make a difference to him - they're all rubbish by comparison. But he said it was great to realise because he was able to relax for the rest of the round then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Definitely enter the comp, if I was closer I would definitely enter and I'm just about single figures too.

Id say the pros would be more impressed with a tough up and town, or a close chip from an impossible lie or something like that rather than a average drive like you say.

Advertisement