Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineers Report - Radon Barrier

Options
  • 21-10-2021 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My house (built in 2003) is sale agreed and buyer has had Engineers Report done. The Engineer was here for approx one hour and as he left he told me there were no really major issues, ie ventilation - solvable by installation of trickle vents, distance between spindles on stairs was 14mm too wide and veluxe window in bedroom 12 inches too high. However, in his report to the buyer he also stated that the house had no radon gas barrier. My question is how did he know that?

Mine is one of four identical houses built by same builder and my next door neighbour tells me his house definitely has the barrier and a builder currently modernising my other neighbours house also tells me that house has the barrier.

My buyer isn’t worried as he intends to add an extension and do any remedial work at the same time but I am concerned his bank may not let him drawdown his mortgage because of this issue. My solicitor has requested the engineer who did my report in 20015 respond to the queries but he has yet to reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I cant see how he could have known without exposing beneath the follors or at the footpath. Do you have the engineering sign off certificate from when the house was built in 2003, if so this confirms the building was built in accordance with the building regulations at the time of construction, this should suffice. Also you could do a radon test to prove radon is not an issue within the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

I've seen enough Opinions of Compliance to know they dont confirm anything other than a cursery glance over a building. I certainly wouldnt be relying on it to satisfy myself. But as you say, it should be enough to get the solicitor over the line.

Standard Radon test takes 3 months so probably a non-runner.

What exactly does the report say? i.e.

no radon barrier was visible

or

no radon barrier installed

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Smiffy57

His wording was … there are no measures fitted to prevent the ingress of radon gas to the dwelling house.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Not an opinion of compliance but the staged signoffs that would have been completed by the engineer during the construction process.

Advertisement