Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible scammer

• 21-10-2021 8:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

Apologies to mods if this is in any way against the rules, but I just want to warn some people of a potential scammer that frequents Adverts & Donedeal.

The seller advertises mainly Treks, of a good spec, brand new. I enquired about a Domane Disc and they got back to me offering a discount code immediately, without any prompting. Payment was to be by PayPal, with the seller repeatedly emphasising the buyer protection offered by PayPal. He directed me to a website for ordering and he assured me that they have a warehouse and storage unit in Dublin, but that I couldn't view the bike before purchase.

Has anyone else contacted this seller, or a seller like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Loads of sellers like that, some legit, some scams. As always the case, if it seems to good to be true, there's a good chance it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I've seen those ads as well. I'd be surprised if the creator had any success as the ads aren't very well put together and the responses often don't make sense.

It's a scam alright but not a very complex one.

I once commented on one of the ads that it was most likely a scam. Some punter private messaged me saying he was almost certain the seller was legit and that if I had no proof of a scam he was going to purchase a bike.

I never heard from that guy again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Yeah a few people commented on the ads but the seller was very shifty and kept avoiding the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you use PayPal, and don't receive the goods, you get your cash back.

So, how does he make money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably trying to push people towards gifting it through PayPal instead of goods and services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm very wary of paypal myself. Their terms and conditions are set up so they'll never be out of pocket. What happens if the seller withdraws the money before any kind of transaction dispute takes place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

I was one of the guys pulling that scamner's chain, a €13.5k bike for €3.5k ! He eventually withdrew the advert, toerag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Be wary of PayPal guarantees or protection as they call it. My recollection is they will refund if they are able to recover the money. So not really a guarantee at all

Advertisement