Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much is one of these worth?

Options
  • 21-10-2021 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Any ideas folks? All opinions appreciated 🤔😀

It's an aluminum fuel tanker body, would hold about 7,000 gallons. And I'd guess it weighs around 2 tons

It was used for storing water and buttermilk on a pig farm, in good condition, so might suit for poultry or dairy either.

Post edited by blue5000 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

The only use I would see is rainwater harvesting for a tillage man for spraying. What's it worth as scrap value by weight? That plus 50% at most would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Was going to get a smaller one off a rigid oil truck in 2019 and was €1000 collected. Would be about half the capacity of that one. Was intending on filling it with diesel but ended up getting a couple of 2000 litre tanks instead.

Considering that one is cleaned out and suitable for water you might get €2000 maybe if you have a way of lifting it onto a trailer. Not the easiest yoke in the world to move around I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I always wondered why a contractor wouldn't buy one, and fill up when the price is low like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Theft would be the biggest issue, the boys have no problem drilling thru something they can't open.

Could be useful as a tank for a water system. Value i don't know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Cost would be the biggest thing would it? And then theft like Moo said... There is only so much stuff you can carry, without maybe an overdraft taking the good out of it with interest rates...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

It's very simple really, cash flow. To fill one of them when diesel was back at say 65 cent would still cost over €20,000. It's a well set up contractor that can take that from his cash flow in the summer and leave it sitting there for 6-12 months until the prices rise. I'm sure there are some that would be able to do it but for the vast majority it wouldn't be possible.

There is also the theft problem as well, and as Mooo said, them lads won't mind drilling it. There's a small BnM bog up the road from here with a 10,000 litre steel diesel tank. A few years back it was drilled one night, a 1,500 or 2,000 litre bowser was filled from it and then they drove off leaving the rest to pour out on the ground. The tank was well empty the next morning and a flood of diesel across the ground. Them lads just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

To be fair 7000 gallons wouldn’t last a contractor too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭enricoh

Depends on how close you are to south Armagh, the closer the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

🤣 Just over the border, there should be a market for it so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement