Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do now?

Options
  • 21-10-2021 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

What to do now?

Hi everyone. I just turned 24 and to be blunt, I've no clue what I want to do with my life. I did my Leaving Cert and went to a PLC.

I completed my course and Covid happened. I got a job in a call center to pass the time. But soon after I got employment in an area relating to my course and realised very quickly that it wasn't for me. Since then I've had another two jobs. So total 4 jobs in the last two years.

I am now doing another course and have part time employment relating to that area. But I've had some health issues the past few months and I suffer from depression and anxiety and am finding it hard to get motivated. I feel as though this isn't for me either, but I don't know if that's to do with my health issues.

See I was recently told that I may not be able to have children, although I don't know for sure. And seeing as my current job and course revolves around kids, I'm having a hard time finding the will to go to work and continue the course.

At this age I feel as though I should have it all figured out but I don't. I'm not really sure what to do next. I don't want to spend my life being unhappy in my job but I also know that I need to find something I love and stick to it. I feel as though I'm underwater at the moment and don't know if I'll ever reach the surface.

Any advice is welcomed and thank you for reading :)

Edit: I think I’ve been down about it as I found out a few days ago from a friend, that another friend referred to my actions as that of an uneducated person. She went to college and I just went to a PLC. Apparently that’s not good enough. Now that I know people are talking about me, it’s making it worse.

Post edited by chloettt on
    Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Are you getting help for your anxiety and depression?

It's very hard for anyone to tell you what to do, it takes a lot of figuring it out for yourself unfortunately.

Try not compare yourself to others, you are still very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chloettt

No. A few years back I did, but not as of recently. Although I know I should.

I know and I used be aware of that. But lately I feel as though people as judging me. Maybe that’s why I went into childcare in the first place. I was desperate for something to stick.

My friends and my partner they’re all settled in their jobs and they have this plan. And then there’s me, who still doesn’t have a clue. Unfortunately its hard not to compare when I’m surrounded by people who’ve it all figured out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chloettt

So update, I booked an appointment with my doctor today to finally talk about my depression and hopefully get help for it!

Well done for reaching out to a doctor, I hope you find the help you need.

If I can try to help at all, I'd just note:

• No one is as settled or has it as figured out as it looks.
    • Even if someone thinks they have it all figured out now, life always has challenges to throw at us. The paths you're all on now are not forever.
    • Education is not the be-all and end-all. Pursue the education you want, enjoy the education you can get, but at the end of the day education doesn't make you better than anyone else, and doesn't make anyone else better than you.
    • It's easy to go along with business as usual. You've already made brave, hard choices by stepping outside the flow of things and realising what's not working for you. Changing jobs, doing new courses, these are tough moves to make, and over time they'll stand to you. Loads of people reach their 40s before they realise they wish they had tried different things. You've now got a broader experience than most at your age - this can be an advantage.

Lastly, just on a personal note, I didn't find a job worth staying in until I was 28, and now I'm doing really well. There were some jobs that made me feel really down and really useless, but they just weren't the right fit for me.

Advertisement