Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal Penalty Points

• 20-10-2021 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, looking for opinions/help please. Three months ago I was driving on a road which had roadworks on it. I wasn't sure exactly where they were and its a long road. As I was driving I came up to a stopped truck on the road which was slightly in to the left, and I stopped. It was a large transport/courier truck. The car behind me started beeping at me so I looked at the truck and thought it must be parked/delivering something off and went to overtake it. When I was passing it I noticed the flag man in on the left hand side in front of the truck, he wasn't visible from where I was behind the truck but his sign was on stop. The car that had beeped me was following me also, and a motorbike came along a couple of minutes later and did the same, also not seeing the flag man. I pulled in infront of the truck as soon as I realised the flag man was there. The car that followed me also pulled in. We didn't go past the roadworks until the next flag man turned his sign to go. A couple of hours later the gardai rang me and said I'd been reported and would I come down to make a voluntary statement to give them my side of the story or I'd automatically get penalty points and a fine. So I made a statement and explained what happened. The site foreman told the gardai there was no truck there, total lie!! So it was his word against mine, I asked the garda i to check for CCTV from the petrol station we had been beside but he said it wouldn't show the road, and had no interest in checking the shops CCTV across the road. I think its unfair as I did stop as soon as I saw the flag man and didn't pass the roadworks, the flagman was not visible from where I was stopped. I didn't purposely ignore the flagman. However the garda rang me the other day and said his superintendent has given me two penalty points and a E80 fine. Is this worth fighting via an appleal or court? Its the foreman's word against mine. Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement