Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crimecall RTE1

• 31-05-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure why those two lads were robbing a one pump petrol station, pretty low rent stuff.

The shoplifters on CCTV are always good for a laugh, brazen bastards for sure but Im not sure someone stealing a bottle of vodka or a box of make up merits being featured on national tv? There must be better things to be showing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I know but it's always a good laugh though, mostly travelers, idiots and scumbags.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

A lot of the ones shoplifting seem to be foreigners. Doubt many irish would know them so theyd get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah there is always a few laughs in this program, many of the criminals featured are pretty poor at their chosen career.

They have female burglars being shown after the ad break now, RTE are ensuring gender equality across all aspects of broadcasting icon14.png:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure why those two lads were robbing a one pump petrol station, pretty low rent stuff.

The shoplifters on CCTV are always good for a laugh, brazen bastards for sure but Im not sure someone stealing a bottle of vodka or a box of make up merits being featured on national tv? There must be better things to be showing

I always wonder how you're unlucky enough to get on for these minor offences of which there must be hundreds every week. Also shows people who find lost ATM cards using up the tap and go in a few shops- it's a bit much, victimless crime like, 50 quid limit, the owner gets refunded I believe. It's certainly something I would have done if they'd been around when I was young, only victim is the bank.

There was footage one night of somebody on a bus who found an envelope with a wad of cash in it and walked off (owner had presumably called the bus firm to say they lost the envelope and they found the footage). I genuinely had no idea that it was illegal to keep money or possessions that somebody mislaid that you randomly came across, I'm far from one of these "ACAB fuk the pigs" headbangers but I wouldn't have an ounce of trust handing anything of value into a Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I always wonder how you're unlucky enough to get on for these minor offences of which there must be hundreds every week. Also shows people who find lost ATM cards using up the tap and go in a few shops- it's a bit much, victimless crime like, 50 quid limit, the owner gets refunded I believe. It's certainly something I would have done if they'd been around when I was young, only victim is the bank.

There was footage one night of somebody on a bus who found an envelope with a wad of cash in it and walked off (owner had presumably called the bus firm to say they lost the envelope and they found the footage). I genuinely had no idea that it was illegal to keep money or possessions that somebody mislaid that you randomly came across, I'm far from one of these "ACAB fuk the pigs" headbangers but I wouldn't have an ounce of trust handing anything of value into a Garda station.

Valid username

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Showing CCTV from a house burglary in August 2020, why bother, would someone really remember the car or the clothing 9 months later?

haha people jumping off tractors and taking selfies is now the crime du jour

Then 485 euro worth in a shopping trolley and he walks right out the supermarket door, the absolute neck on him! He'll be caught pretty quick from that cctv.

M

What a clown, robs a supermarket during December with no face mask, utter tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Valid username

Meh. Back in the day, if it existed, why not have a day out on the bank's money?

As for the found cash thing, was flabbergasted it was illegal and someone had been nationally shamed for pocketing it. Particularly as if you found a large sum of cash on a bus you would be inclined to think it was from an illegal source itself anyway.

Anyone see that scooter robbery, was a bit of a laugh watching the thief flying out of the shop on it. I didnt think the theft of a scooter would be deserving of national tv coverage but thats Crimecall for you 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Didn't know it was back. I'll look at the player later.

Is it the tricycle that was on Liveline today or another daring theft?

M

Not on the Player or the +1, it's a one play only. They assume nobody in the wurdled can record since the collapse of the last VHS recording tape company in Zaire a whoyle back so to speak, lol.

It's probably against the GDPR to watch a croime twice on de CCCCCTV so to speak.

Joe should ask RTE for a statement.

No it wasnt a tricycle, it was just a regular stand up electric scooter, probably a value of 200 euro or so. They did have good CCTV of the guy who did it so I suppose thats why they showed it. It was a funny watch as they had two angles, the first was the thief loitering on the pavement outside the shop, almost like he was building up the courage to do it. Then the next angle showed him flying out the entrance to the shop and away down the footpath on the scooter.

M

Looks like an incredibly dangerous setup for a test with defective tyres, could they not have got Mondello? A blowout and there would have been casualties.

Went looking for it again on the player but it hasn't shown up. Same happened last month. I'll have another go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It is never on the player. It is a watch either live or on the +1 or hard luck and they have been known to cut sections of it on the plus 1 as well. It happened to me once I recorded it on the plus 1 but never again as half of it was missing. I still have last nights one have to watch it yet lol. I mostly just watch it for the mad bastards on it as well as for the tech and roads section. I am surprised with Covid around that there is still people stupid enough to try and rob places.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I wonder why they dont put it up on the Player, its hardly an instruction from the Gardai not to for some reason? Some amount of dross on the Player so youd thing a public service program to crack crime would be up there as a matter of course. They are after all asking the public to identify criminals on CCTV so youd think they would want it seen by as many people as possible.

Anyway that murder in the woods in Ballinascorney in Tallaght is very sad. I remember reading about it at the time and the victim was an absolute gentleman who was passionate about conservation. I cant remember the exact details but it seems he was objecting to development of land either in the woods or near it. For that he got murdered, most likely by someone who lives in the area and knows him. You could see that on Crimecall last night, the Garda even said the perpatrator is likely watching the program and it was obvious they know they live in the area and people locally are covering up for them.

M

Lad goes in to a post office with a note saying he has a gun and to give them all the money (well written note with only 1 spelling mistake). The cashier tells him they have no cash and he has to walk away only to make a 'getaway' on a bike, the sheer embarrasment of it 😁

M

2nd morto CCTV incident, a lad pulls a hatchet to hijack a mans car, he jumps in to car to speed away but is unfamiliar with modern automatic cars and how to start them. Runs out of car with the hatchet after the owner who runs around a van and asks him how do you put the car in to gear to drive it, goes back to car and speeds off, all captured on CCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They always have CCTV images like this 😂

M

Insurers should refuse cover when the recordings look like they have been done on the back of a spoon. No excuse for it in the modern day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've not seen this program in over 20 years, saw it mentioned on boards , took a peek and my god its as bad as ever. I've often wondered do the Gardai appearing on this program get any media, presentation training 🤔 loved the sincerity of the Traffic cop at the end re drink driving campaign 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The lad who set the car alight. Is that the incident that was near the hotel that had loads of fire fighters tackling the blaze?

And lol at going from that, where there was 400k damage to a lad driving over bollards that didn't even look damaged at a cost of 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dam missed it tonight, was out at Ricky Gervais in the Point. Was there much bumbling criminal comedy on this episode? Might watch it back tomorrow

Unfortunately it can't be watched back as I found out last month 🙄

That must have been Traumatic (actually admitting you watched it back) 😁

I didn't because I couldn't. Same this month. I might be serving a mass murderer tomorrow but I won't know because I can't watch nine months old CCTV on the player for some reason.

• Advertisement

Touché, only saw it myself for the first time in 20 years last night, its as awful as it was 20 years ago 😉

Advertisement