Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18 year old Car insurance??

Options
  • 18-10-2021 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

My little brother has passed his test.

He is struggling to find any sort of insurance cover.

He is 18 and works full-time.

He bought a Toyota Altezza japanese import car, its a 2 litre petrol car

Hes not able to obtain a quote from any insurance company here in Ireland , he got a Quote of €13k yes 13 thousand from autoline in Northern Ireland.

He's been insured on the father's Hilux 3.0 for the past year as a learner and a novice.

Is there anyone that can help? He saved for 6 months solid to buy this car.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Daft car to be buying as a first drive. He’d be best selling on and putting the cash in a micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnnytrix21

Hes been driving the Hilux for the past 12 months and saved and saved for this Toyota. I can't wrap my head around it. It's a relatively low powered luxury saloon car at the end of the day The poor chap is heartbroken. The fact he's been refused so many times is because 'its a Japanese import'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Not sure I see what you're struggling with. It's in the same vein as a civic or a teg, they have a rep with young lads. Have never driven an altezza but have driven an IS200 and it could absolutely move

The likes of micras and fiestas we were rallying around the silage fields at 10 years of age haha. They're great craic in the fields and on tbe back roads but dangerously underpowered for real life driving in rural Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

It's a rwd performance car and well you know it. He needs to get something smaller first to build up his no claims. We all had to do it.

• Advertisement

They definitely do have a reputation with the young lads, I don't really understand why he wanted an Altezza so bad but that's the cool car to have nowadays. I've took it for a spin or two, in fairness it is relatively quick but you have to rev the absolute nuts off it a car that's not going to get you into trouble quick sort of (,guess that's being into bikes more than cars,) .

I reckon a good diesel car especially the 2.0tdis are faster and they are easily insurable for young lads

Nothing is easily insurable for young lads, neither are 2l diesels. Something quick is hardly a necessity for an 18 year old with practically no experience

Plenty of his buddies have golfs Audi A4s and the likes all 2.0tdis on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

By 'real life driving' you presumably mean overtaking everyone else in sight as a matter of urgency, right? What's the problem with using a Micra to get to work or to GAA training? This is all just bravado, trying to look cool in front of the mates, right?

Here's what happens when young lads get their hands on a Lexus;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/mayo-man-jailed-for-dangerous-driving-causing-deaths-of-two-passengers-1.4613320

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Keep the Alteeza in storage for 2 years, get a 1 litre Yaris, get 2 years no claims under his belt, then try insure the Alteeza. They are only going up in value so he won't lose anything.

Doesn't mean they're easily insured. They're paying through the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

He needs to sell or buy a smaller car 1ltr thing, drive it for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Unless there's something exceptional about the roads in the "rural Ireland" you live in, a 1 litre car will be more than adequate for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Few things insurance companies will hate:

1) Altezzas went out of production in 2005. Insurance will load for being over 10 years old.

2) Japanese Import, insurance will load for being a non "irish" car.

3) Engine is over 2.0, insurance will load.

4) He's 18 years old with no no claims. Insurance will load.

No offence but you're brother doesn't have a chance of getting it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

At 18, he’s considered high risk, buying a boy racer car at 18 with next to nil proper road experience makes him look to irresponsible in the eyes of the underwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

Given the dysfunctional insurance system we have here in Ireland, ANY 17/18/19 year old ( and even older ) trying for his / her first insurance is going to have problems.....but what ever hope you have getting a " reasonable" quote for a 1 ltr powered car, that hope diminishes rapidly in direct proportion to the Nr. of CC's rising above the 1 ltr mark. Have him ask his buddies driving Golf's. Audi A 4's etc. and see what their quotes are.

Thanks to all who contributed, my father managed to insure the car online, with my brother as a named driver for just under €2,200.

God help the parish, I reckon every crossroad within 20 miles will be blackened by next week lol. Young lads and they're obsession with these little japanese back wheel drive cars hey.

He was saying they paid anything between 1500-3000

I would have thought an Altezza would be an entry level enthusiast car rather than a skangery 'boy racer ' golf Passat or Audi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

The Alteza is definitely thought of as a "performance" car and always was back in the day when everyone was importing JDM cars. Plenty made a big deal out of the Yamaha BEAMs engine some models had too. Your brother has unfortunately picked the wrong car to get himself into at 18 years old and newly qualified but that can be chalked up to youth and inexperience.

While I doubt he will get a reasonable quote, there is a process where you can provide 3 insurance quote refusals (in writing) and the first contacted company will be compelled to offer a quote. It definitely won't be pretty though so expect something eye wateringly expensive, similar to the 13k he was already quoted by Autoline.

I bet that your brother's buddies have their cars insured in one of their parent's names with them as a named driver. It's the only way a lot of young drivers seem to get reasonable quotes. I have a nephew who did the same when he was starting out at 19 with an Audi A3.

I hope your brother does gets something sorted though, as I can only imagine his disappointment right now after the excitement of getting the car he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Ah, I see now why a Micra isn't good enough for your brother. God help anybody unfortunate enough to be driving the roads in your area, minding their own business, while skangers like your brother are tearing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Be very careful, in the event of an accident insurers will be quick to invalidate the policy if your father has another policy already. The price you quote is based on your father being the main driver - insurers operate on the basis that you can not be the main driver of two vehicles unless you are the only driver on both.

I get that the quotes are crazy high and this seems like the solution, but it could be a nightmare in the making for your brother and father.

Yeah, he got insurance sorted not even 30 minutes ago, using the same method. The father insured it online and out him as a named driver. Thanks for your input. I suppose it is considered a 'performance car'. It just seems alien to me the word performance when we had the likes of VFR400s, ZXR400s and bandit 600s on the road at his age

Hardly fair , calling him a skangery c'mon. he's saved around €12k for this car in the last 6 months. Do you expect him to go from learning and being comfortable in a 3.0 Hilux to driving a micra day to day? He earns his own money so fair dues to him, he doesn't want a little bean can. Like I said we used to rag around and do our best to kill the likes of little micras, fiestas and Ford kas in the fields when we were kids during silage season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wait, he bought an Altezza as a first car. Where's my laughing emoji. Terrible idea #1. Then he got insured as a name driver on it, but he actually owns it and will use it every day. Terrible idea #2. Terrible idea #3 is the fact there's an 18 year old novice driver out on our roads who no doubt thinks he's Michael Schumacher. Bravo to you, and bravo to your dad on a bunch of sh1tty ideas.

He's already got a private car, commercial and motorcycle policies separate, I think he will be fine. Thanks for your concerns. He's the main driver. My brother is a named driver who will use the car from 'time to time'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair play to your brother working hard and getting, tell him to get ready to be stopped by every squad car in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

This is known as fronting. Insurance companies are wise to it. They have teams of people employed to prove stuff like this so they don't have to pay it. Not really that hard to prove, the log book is in your brothers name.

Your father/brother has basically bought a very expensive sticker. No way an insurance company will pay out should there be a claim.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll let him know to send the logbook off tomorrow

Advertisement