Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Jazz Festival 2021

• 25-06-2021 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know if the Cork Jazz Festival is planned to go ahead this October?

I have booked accommodation for the weekend but have not seen any indication of any events besides The Stylistics at Cork Opera House.

I would imagine that events would be announced by now or very shortly if its going ahead as a festival.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

Great news, Jazz festival us going ahead.

The Guinness Cork Jazz Festival is to return this year taking place over the bank holiday weekend from 22-25 October! Cancelled last year, it returns this year and Guinness say it will be the first major festival in Ireland since the pandemic to take place. Full details will be released over the coming weeks on www.guinnessjazzfestival.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Who would actually want to go? I'm not ready for crowded pubs, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Many, many people I am sure!

Mrs Pen Rua & I recently welcomed our first child so won't be going out like we did in the past for the Jazz Festival, but I'm hoping they will announce (day time) out door events we can head to. The parade for the last two years it was on was quite good (2018 far superior to the 2019 effort from what I recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I would love if this thread could be a positive one which provides good information about the festival and not be the same as every other online discussion about the jazz where people fall over themselves to say just how much they don't like it. Any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any idea when line up will be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Any indication of events planned for the jazz festival? It’s 4 weeks away this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Guinness Scam Festival more like. I feel sorry for toursits who come here especially for it.

Every pub advertising the jazz outside their door, but all they have inside is some local chancer bands playing "come on eileen" then shouting at the crowd "is everybody enjoying jazz fest woohoo! Here's our next song: I wouldn't walk 500 miles"

There's the odd busker who plays the sax or something but that's about it.

That's why we went to events listed in the official Guinness Cork Jazz Festival programme. In 2019, we ended up in the River Lee which had several bands through the night and it was absolutely brilliant. In 2018, we ended up in the Metropole in the afternoon and it was excellent. A group of child prodigy musicians was over from New York and it was a blast.

I'm a blow in (from a great festival city - Galway) and I thoroughly enjoyed my very first jazz back in 2016 when I was here for a short period. I had zero expectations, and loved being able to go around the city and bumping into all the European big jazz bands and so on.

• Advertisement

You're not forced to sit and listen to a band you don't like. There are others.

People whinge when it's all jazz and people whinge when there's things that aren't jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

does anyone know if places will be booking only or will walk ins be back and pubs back to capacity for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Spat out my cornflakes this morning reading that not only is the airport closed for the jazz festival, but they are also closing the Cork railway station for 11 days at the same time.

Genius lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would be one of the busiest weekends for rail use from commuter areas, seems a reasonable logical move to inconvenience them all.

It's nuts we are so isolated.

When you think of the economic powerhouse that is Cork... Apple, Dell, Pfizer, J&J, Novartis, GSK, Amazon, Siemens etc. What's the value of Cork to Ireland's economy?

We must generate 75% of the income for the country I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I highly doubt that. For starters, Dell, J&J and Amazon have more presence in Ireland outside of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Yeah, really tells you all you need to know about how things are planned here (in Ireland, not just Cork).

See table 3.

Manufactured pharma products are the biggest value of the export for row 53. The highest value one I believe is the J&J Centocor site in Cork, the majority of the rest of that row is Pfizer (Cork), MSD (Cork), Novartis (Cork), GSK (Cork), Gilead (Cork), Lilly (Cork), Abvie (cork), the other J&j sites (little island, depuy, ,both cork, and the visioncare site in limerick). Outside Cork you've got amgen, alexion, abbott, the rest of the pharma big 50 have a sales or reg affairs office in Dublin, rather than manufacturing.

Cork also has a good chunk of the animal and dairy industry, row 0. The biggest farms in the country are in Cork, 1200 acres. https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ireland-s-largest-dairy-farm-installs-latest-dairymaster-technology-196425

Dell has an office in cherrywood in Dublin, but the high value manufacturing is done in Ovens, Cork. Apple is manufacturing is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Are they opening the plants to Jazz bands this weekend or something?

• Advertisement

They are ya.

Or, I was responding to the post I quoted. You decide which is more likely there.

Is it this new boards layout that people can't see conversations anymore, or just an epidemic of belligerence?

Thread has all of a sudden derailed (no pun intended) into a discussion on Cork's contribution to the nation's economy. The train line is temporarily shut for an upgrade to the train line so that it can better serve the city. No some big ruse.

Glad to see the organisers plan to have events on the street as in the past, along with The Metropole and River Lee hotels. https://www.guinnessjazzfestival.com/en-row/the-fringe

table service/bookings still here for jazz it seems. disaster for those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Ozvaldo

wow thats gonna be sh1t -theres djs in the crane what are ya supposed to do sit there tapping your foot ?

I see a 90s disco event going ahead elsewhere, but fully seated.

Couldn't make it up.

sit there and tap your foot til 12.30 get up and dance from then til close. complete farce theyve kept table service. must be terrible for pubs hoping to make a bit of a money back this weekend

So......the line up isn't awe inspiring, the weather forecast is awful, covid numbers rising, train station & airport closed........... sadly i cant see thus weekend being anything other than a dead duck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Dont know about that town is very busy now massive queue for deep south as far as hillbillys curving out on the path.

Just in before the weather turned. Town was really busy - queues to get into a lot of places (Deep South, Conway's Yard in particular) and bouncers turning away people telling them not to Q at other premises.

Some bands around the place as part of the festival - seemingly more of the variety that play pop music as a brass band. I didn't stumble across any of the bands that come in from the continent as in the past, unfortunately - always enjoyed them.

• Advertisement

Well it was going to be difficult for foreign acts to get here. Travelling in to Dublin airport is embarrassing at the moment. The last time I came through a couple of weeks ago they insisted not on my vaccine cert, but proof of both my vaccine dates. That’s the little handwritten card… thank goodness I had photographed it. Then they lost my luggage. When I found it , it was damaged, and it took two and a half hours to get out of the airport, followed by a traffic jam of a drive to cork. I think it was 7 hours after I landed I hit home.

I know there were cancellations of acts, mostly due to transport.

Advertisement