Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Listening to a market watcher on Morning Ireland this morning and they explained the rise in the value of Sterling purely to the rise in inflation and the likelihood of an interest rate rise. Currently at 0.1% suggesting the BOE will move to 0.25%. All very low but nevertheless a more than doubling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

The "very little room" is that they've painted themselves into a corner - and aside from "jumping out the window" of a trade war with the EU, they have difficulties trying to make the NIP an ongoing issue. Aside from the ECJ, we are on to really silly stuff now like "we want to be able to sell food in pounds and ounces but not have kilogram weights indicated" at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly, and they will keep banging that drum as loud and as often as possible. Auntie Nora getting stopped at customs will be the next one. The some truck getting stopped because of lack of paperwork, when isn't it obvious that it was just sausages.

And that is before the UK diverge. When that happens the rate of checks will have to increase and then they will be back bleating on that its all a punishment and the EU just hate the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

NI has for over 40 years been able to cope with the differing value of the Irish currency and the GBP - many using two purses to ease the control of the two currencies, so the two currencies work seamlessly in NI. They have got used to metric and imperial measures being used side by side, and have no difficulty in downing a pint along with 20 grams of crisps or peanuts.

Popular culture still talk of a 'country mile' as in 'missing by' whatever that might be, and 'spending a penny' and many other defunct measures, but when it comes to cash and short measure or gouging prices, they are not slow to complain. New measures are now being used (e.g. on the BBC) like Olympic swimming pools to describe volume, or football pitches when it comes to area (of course football pitches vary in size depending on code - soccer being smallest and GAA being largest), and another one I find hard to understand - double decker buses - I'm not sure whether that is height, length, or volume, or even weight. There are many more that I cannot fathom - like furlongs (used in racing), hands (used for horses and bananas), barrels (used for oil), creels (used for fish, lobsters and crabs), etc etc.

NI has serious issues with its diverse cultures that need sorting. What it does not need is to become a political football for kicking between the UK and the EU. It needs serious investment, and job creation as prosperity brings peace. It is a poor region of the UK - not the poorest, but one of the poorest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Great news,(although nothing to do with Ford putting its faith in its UK workforce)...Meanwhile,US tech giants can't keep pace with recruitment(according to this link)in the UK as they are expanding so quickly there.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/26/london-tech-firms-struggle-to-hire-as-google-apple-facebook-expand.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭O'Neill

This is the utter nonsense that was coming from QT on Thursday. Worryingly, there wasn't anyone to challenge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure I would use the term "can't keep pace" it's more that the qualified staff required are in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's a huge amount of denial around Brexit. One of the main reasons it is doomed to abject failure is because it is so toxic, polarising and divisive. The idea that the UK will be able eventually able to rally around it and support it is nonsensical (and two countries in the UK flatly rejected it from the outset and wanted nothing to do with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buried in the article . Companies considering moving entirely as they can't get staff. No doubt talent has exited. Also the headcounts open in the big 4 is actually guide small couple of hundred. I think many workers have simply gone back to the EU. And the levels of cash the likes of Amazon are throwing at people to move to them appears to show this is true. Limited number of people.

Tom Richardson, CEO of money management app Lumio, told CNBC that it’s “so hard” to find the right people.

“We are a start-up and with only a seed round and we cannot attract devs or great product managers,” he said. “Starting salaries are mad.”

To get around the issue, Richardson is considering relocating his business or hiring more remote workers, but he said both have their risks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is less than 1,000 jobs - high paid ones and all in London, but still not a lot of jobs.

• Advertisement

Despite my dislike of brexit I do believe many on this thread have made inaccurate statements in an attempt to support their fanciful claims.The claims that the energy crisis isn't affecting Europe is an example,the claims that the UK financial sector is set to collapse is another ridiculous myth touted and seized upon by those of a hive mentality prevalent on this thread.

Very few posters have made those claims. Many posters have stated that the UK financial sector will be negatively impacted, and that is backed by some very senior people within the sector and the movement of jobs (albeit relatively small so far). But regardless of the final impact, Brexit will not be a positive.

In terms of energy, the facts are that by removing themselves from the collective purchasing of the EU, the UK faces bigger pricing risks. Just as they claimed that removing themselves from the EU was the reason for their early vaccine success.

But why worry about what a few posters may be saying on a discussion board. Brexit is clearly causing massive, long term negative effects on the UK for no positive reason. But seemingly it must be continued because of...well fear of being made accept that people were wrong (the MP's & Farage etc I mean). That is quite the price the average punter in the UK is going to end up paying to avoid the likes of JRM and Johnson from accepting they were wrong.

We're not at the stage yet where people can admit they were openly lied to by Vote Leave and the right wing press - perhaps they feel that such an admission will leave them looking gormless and naive i.e. to be so easily and readily taken in by obvious conmen and shysters is not exactly a badge of honour and doesn't say much for one's judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If you are going to assert that posters have these views then you will need to post the quotes. I can remember the regulars saying it will be death by a thousand cuts rather than a sudden backwater, Mad Max style decline. This is maybe what you think people said, but it is most certainly no the mainstream view on this thread. You have been here long enough to know this so please stop posting as if this is true.

If you call having the 2nd largest economy in Europe and having Brussels on the backfoot over the NI protocol `death by a thousand cuts`I`d have to disagree with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This raises a question: What is the best way of judging relative wealth? If you go by something like GDP per capita the UK would rank 15th and dropping. But I don't know much about economics and I've heard it said that GDP doesn't work as a metric with the way economies work now. Someone enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭yagan

For national outlook I keep thinking of Argentina and it's downward trajectory from 5th wealthiest nation after WWII. It was gripped by a populism that believed that the world needed Argentinian beef more than it needed the products of the world.

It embarked on an industrial protectionism that overlooked that countries that had its products shut out of Argentina would retaliate with tariffs on beef!

Once their doctrine of self importance collapsed the country descended into reactionary juntas, but even today there's a belief amongst many that Argentina would be wealthy again if it weren't for the non believers.

We fell into this trap ourselves in the 1930s with the Anglo-Irish Trade War. Whilst it could be said that Ireland won the argument 'politically', the country was impoverished, unemployment was high and emigration remained high. Historians have argued that Ireland's poverty and hardship of the 1940s and 1950s were a direct result of the trade war (a twenty year hangover in other words).

Protectionism, trade barriers and trade wars are always bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

GDP is the total market value of all goods and services produced by a country in a defined time period (nearly always a year).

It's generally a useful metric for comparing the size of different economies, but there are some cases where it's considered to be misleading. Ireland, as it happens, is one of these cases - the presence of a large number of multinationals in Ireland, who are routing transactions that take place throughout the world through their Irish subsidiaries means that, using conventional statistics-gathering methods, a lot of goods are services that are not, in fact, produced in Ireland are turning up in Ireland's GDP. To address this problem the Central Bank has come up with a measure called GNI* (pronounced "GNI star") that more accurately measures the value of goods and services produced in Ireland.

But in the present context this doesn't matter greatly. For comparing the UK with most other national economies, GDP works fine.

But note that it only measures the overall size of a country's economy. It's not a measure of growth, or prosperity, or standard of living. It tells you nothing about, e.g., how wealth is distributed within a country. It's not even much of a measure of overall economic health; the Soviet Union was the largest economy in Europe by GDP right up until the year it disintegrated. Among developed countries, the single biggest factor in determining GDP size is population. As Rob pointed out, the UK is currently the second largest economy in Europe (after Germany), but the main reason for this is that it has the second largest population in Europe (after Germany). If you rank countries by productivity (value of goods and services produced by each worker) or household income (goods and services consumed - a measure of standard of living) or income distribution (how equally or unequally are the benefits of the economy shared?) the UK's position tends to look a bit less enviable.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement

I don't think we fell into the trap that Yagan points to ("they need us more than we need them") at all. We were perfectly aware of our dependence on exports to the UK.

The root cause of the Economic War was quite different. It was partly political - de Valera was offended at the idea that Irish people should be compelled to pay the UK government for the return of Irish land; refusing to do so was for him an exercise in nation-building. And it was partly the local manifestation of the international debt crisis of the 1930s, which saw many debtor nations defaulting on their obligations - de Valera argued that the financial burden of the land annuity payments, per capita, exceeded the burden of the war reparations imposed on Germany, and that it was an unrealistic in a time of global depression to demand that these should be paid. He also pointed out that, under the 1925 London Agreement, the Free State was supposed to be relieved from its obligation to pay any part of the UK's public debt, and the land bonds issued by the UK government were part of its public debt.

Whether you find these arguments convincing or not is irrelevant. The point is that they have nothing to do with an arrogant belief that the UK could not survive without Irish beef. There was nobody in Ireland in 1932 advancing the equivalent of the arguments that Brexiters offered (and that some still offer) to the effect that no deal would be painless, that trading with the EU on WTO terms would be painless, or that the UK can repudiate the NI Protocol and it will be painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭20silkcut

He also demanded of the British a return of all tax collected in Ireland between 1800 and 1922.

We are still waiting.

No, not of all tax, just of the excess tax - i.e. the excess of tax collected in Ireland over government expenditure in Ireland. Throughout the nineteenth century Ireland, although the poorest part of the UK, was a net contributor to the UK exchequer, subsidising government expenditure in much richer Great Britain.

Dev did demand that back, but the demand is not outstanding. It was rolled up in the agreements that settled the Economic War.

That is no way comparable. The country had endured centuries of asset stripping and the ground rent stance was entirely justified. It was basis for building capital rather than continuing to be sucked by offshore landlords.

It was not ground rent - it was land annuities. Land annuities were mortgages that allowed farm tenants to buy out the landlord, covered by the Gov - British at the time but Dev claimed the Irish Gov was the true owner of these annuities.

Ground rents still pertain in Ireland, but can be bought out a high cost by the ground tenant but the buy out cannot be forced by the ground landlord - an oversight in the law. If I as a ground landlord (which I am not) own a hundred ground leases each of £15 per annum which are not currently being paid, I could recoup about €100,000 if I could get them all sold, but under current arrangements, I cannot. Nor can I force the tenant to pay as the cost of court action would exceed the benefit - so the ground landlord can only wait for the clock to tick out on the lease - perhaps 99 years, or 999 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

With the likes of Clarkson and Dyson and many more buying up agricultural land with their fortunes, no wonder the price is rising.

If I had a spare few million, I would be out there buying - you cannot lose in the long term.

Property prices only ever goes up!

When have I heard that before.

As they say if you can see the bandwagon you're already too late.

• Advertisement

I am misreading the article, it is saying that farmland prices are falling.

Now, of course there is an argument that the EU subsidies were artificially keeping farming profitable, but that was never part of the Brexit argument.

No doubt if prices continue to fall the Brexiteer argument will be that it was always part of the plan and they were actually always against the price of land increasing and this is about giving land back to the people!

Advertisement