Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Money markets don't buy in to government spin. If I understand correctly it suggests the markets don't believe there will be a trade deal (note similarly, the markets believed there would be a TCA deal - sterling barely moved when the discussions went from the "will they, won't they & looks like it will be WTO" to "deal" (although it rose in subsequent months from around 1.12 to 1.17/1.18.

Yeah - I've read a couple of times people making the point that prior to 2016, brexit was a cause for the incompetent and second rate and therefore unsuccessful within the Tory party. As a consequence once they took over (and defenestrated everyone else), the incompetence level of the government rose massively - there was nobody competent to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kate Hoey is another one from NI who seemed to have forgotten all about the border. There was a couple of Irish in UKIP too and IIRC the head press officer was from ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Kate Hoey has at no point forgot about the border. Her entire modus operandi was always to see a hard border back in Ireland or Ireland pulled back into economic dependence on Britain.

Despite her political beginnings, since the Brexit vote she has heavily aligned herself with the anti-GFA nutters like Jamie Bryson and his ilk. She is a DUP voter and still reckons the only way to avoid a hard border is for Ireland to leave the EU too.

• Advertisement

Ya your right actually. I should have said they didn't talk about it rather than forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭dublin49

Great quote from Fintan O Toole this morning.

The UK government has developed a variant on Groucho Marx: these are our principles and if you don’t agree to fight us on them, we have others that we can provoke you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

His pamphlet turned out to be the best political satire piece in the modern history written unintendedly 😎

Comedy gold. Should be put into the Guinness Book of World Records.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No insults

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Norway accepts the free movement of goods, capital, services and people within the EEA. Schengen. Accepts many EU laws and standards over which it has no veto. Is subject to European courts. Doesn't get a rebate so pays the same per capita as the UK did. Has to accept the EU doing it's global trade deals except for food and drink.

Red lines all over the place. Of course Farage was lying.

• Advertisement

A cynic might argue that the real Farage / Vote Leave 'plan' was to wreck the relationship with Europe and kick the foreigners out. That was the sum total of Brexit (apart from enriching the Brexit toffs and millionaires as a bonus).

The foreigners were only innocent victims in the crossfire. It was really about getting away from the pro worker and pro health EU regulations that were holding rich business people back from Britain becoming the crap food dodgy medicine sht hole that is the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think you meant they (the currency markets) don't really believe there will be an EU-UK trade dispute just as they didn't believe the UK would finally exit with no trade agreement with the EU? (and were correct of course).

Maybe neither side wants this, but it is very easy to misjudge when following a policy of deliberately being provocative/antagonistic + playing "hardball" (if that is what the UK is doing here as a tactic).

Fintan O'Toole suggests in that article today that the British public themselves may well be the real targets of the Brexiteers - the ones who get swindled or cheated out of all they own, even the people who voted to Leave.

Would be far from the first time a government was elected which hated its own electorate and even the people who voted for it and just wanted to be in power for the sake of it or to enrich themselves.

The stories coming out about Sunak falling out of favour for questioning Johnsons massive cash spend in the next budget would certainly point to a PM who doesn't give a FK about anything long term past his own reign.

Kinda reminds me of Ahern vs McReevy

Yes, and talk in the same articles about Sunak regarding No.10 as being "economically illiterate".

Yes correct - dispute. Of course they could be wrong, although I expect they are at least as informed as we are, but it's interesting that the markets are remarkably calm about this

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Those sunlit uplands look further away than ever.

No trade deal with New Zealand, can't come to an agreement with Australia, the US says "Back of the queue" and as for China......

The Australian trade minister had hoped to clinch an agreement with his U.K. counterpart Anne-Marie Trevelyan at the end of his long, multi-stop trip across the globe, but the two sides ended up kicking the can.

Eh? I thought can-kicking was solely a lily-livered EU tactic specifically designed to thwart mighty Blighty from reaching its full global potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mmm. Either the markets are calm, or they have already priced in uncertainty. I'm thinking it's more the latter.

Sterling took a steep dive after the 2016 referendum and fell steadily for most of the rest of 2016 as it became increasing evident that the Tory Party/the UK government had no clue about how to go about Brexit, no coherent ideas about why it was Brexiting and no clear non-destructive plan for Brexiting. And it has bobbed up and down a bit since then, but has never really recovered.

Sterling was at €1.30 just before the referendum; it fell to €1.12 by October 2016; in the five years since then it has bobbed around in the €1.10 to €1.20 band; right now it's about €1.18. My reading of that would be that, so far as the markets are concerned, uncertainly about how damaging Brexit will be set in in 2016 and has never really been resolved.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No doubt it will be sold as a win but Ford have committed to investing in retooling its Halewood facility to start building electric power units from 2024. This was aided by a investment by government investment (although the total plant investment of £230m pales in comparison to the €1bn investment by Ford in Cologne).

• Advertisement

I would have said that the brexit risk (i.e. in the 6 months coming to the referendum - i.e. the fact that the referendum itself was a certainty and the outcome could be different to the status quo) led to an initial gradual drop from 1.44 to 1.25. Following initial positive sounding results, sterling bounced up but then immediately dropped upon the leave result announcement to 1.15 followed by a drop to a low of 1.08 - and more or less stayed in the low 1.10s range.

Following the TCA, Sterling has strengthened - from around 1.11/1.12 to 1.18 - but there was no immediate reaction to the announcement of the TCA deal itself. So it seems that the markets put almost no credence in the idea that the UK would not accept the EU TCA deal.

As said however, despite the negativity and to me credibility of the UK current threats to renege, the markets really aren't reacting at all.

Simply put, as compared to a €1.44 price of sterling with effectively no possibility of brexit on the horizon versus a post brexit UK at least apparently credibly threatening to start an intractable trade war, €1.18 (and rising) makes me think sterling is overvalued.

Unless of course the markets really don't believe Johnson would do something like that.

Of course the markets aren't always right - but I have to expect that given the money at stake they have as good an idea of what is happening as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

A win for the local community,yes.

The Halewood engine plant employs around 700 whilst the Cologne body and assembly plant employs over 4000,so hardly a balanced comparison regarding amounts invested.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've no doubt that the locals will be delighted.

My point was that it will be sold as a win for the UK and Brexit.

The funding would not have been permitted had they been in the EU (plus I'd be curious to know how much funding the taxpayer is committing)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there really such a thing as markets in so far as sterling is concerned? There's so much dark money funneling around and through London one could assume normal market conditions don't apply. There's wins in keeping the currency artificially high. Call me cynical but if it was anywhere else the currency would be on its arse.

That's what I don't understand. But the fact that the currency did respond to the brexit vote itself shows it's not entirely artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There has to be some level of impact it's publically traded afterall. But outside of that I'd argue it doesn't take large sums to manipulate the levels. There's an open motorway to crown dependencies to maintain and I've no doubt there's tolls along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sterling is traded in vast quantities, and there is no way that the UK government (or anyone else) could covertly make trades of the size required to affect the market price. The scale of activity required would be simply too large to be hidden.

Besides, the UK government doesn't need to do that. No government does, in fact. There's a much simpler way of influencing your currency's price, if that's what you want to do; you adjust interest rates. If sterling interest rates rise relative to other currencies, more people will wish to deposit their funds in sterling so as to get the higher return and, in order to do this, they will go into the market to buy sterling, thereby driving the price up. And vice versa, if you want the price of sterling to fall.

A good thread by Usherwood on what he thinks is happening: TLDR: UK wants to keep NIP unstable -EU generous proposals answering all open points gives very little room for UK to do this - problem for UK is how now to proceed when you have no plan and painted yourself into a corner on ECJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Very little room for the UK? Has he learned nothing from the last few years?

Frost already got his rejection in before the EU even officially announced the details (though Frost would have known about them). The UK will simply make up something else which is the most fundamental thing ever. They have already moved onto the ECJ, now arguing that the EU should give up its 'sovereignty' by agreeing to the UK having equal say in arbitration. And you can bet if the EU agreed to that then the UK would complain that the arbitration is biased agains the UK.

Because that has been their fundamental believe from Day 1. They believe that the EU is out to get the UK, that the UK had no voice, no input into any decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I have no idea why Sterling would be worth more than Euro at this point. Surely it should be on parity, at least, if not worth less.

Advertisement