Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnród Éireann Booking Reference

Options
  • 17-10-2021 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Just booked a train ticket for an inter city train there. Not my first time but I'm a very occasional train user. Just wondering what's the rationale behind Iarnród Éireann providing you with a booking reference number rather than the actual ticket? Seems stupid that you have to go to a machine at the station and punch in a number to get the ticket printed out! Adds a bit of unnecessary hassle to the journey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Travelled with Irish rail over the weekend, agree about the booking reference to collect ticket

The ticket is designed to be scanned on arrival at the ticket machines, same as the ticket system in car parks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are in the process of rolling out QR code readers to the gate lines to allow for giving you the tickets digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

Do you know if they've a timeline? It's just I've gotten trains to Dublin for GAA matches as far back as 2005. They've always had this system and I'd say the technology for providing online tickets must exist for at least the last 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's not the technogy for providing tickets that's the issue, it's the funding for upgrading the equipment to read the tickets at station barriers, the booking office equipment and also the equipment used by revenue protection staff.

As posted above, they are in the process of being upgraded as we speak, so I'd imagine next year will see the rollout of mobile or e-tickets.

Advertisement