Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What's the address of the ISIS embassy? 🤔🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The island of Ireland is not immune to religious extremist attacks. They can happen anywhere, anytime and by any method.

If we are critically analysing it, the troubles can be classed as being religiously motivated/extremist terrorism. While broadly being about imperialist occupation, it is narrowly focused on sectarian Christianity, Catholic vs Protestant, similar to Sunni vs Shia.

Those who state Ireland is a potential target solely due to the logistic facilitation of US troops and equipment to the Middle East and Asia, are really just displaying anti-US rhetoric due to their focus on global hegemony and geopolitics.

In reality, there are a number of Irish owned and Irish based companies that directly and indirectly facilitate warfare and death on a greater level than the populist narrative of the logistic use of Shannon. We are not a priority because of Shannon, if we were, it would have happened at the peak of the global war on terrorism.

What stops us being a priority target of Islamic extremism from an organised group?

Nothing.

What mitigates against us being a priority target of Islamic extremism from an organised group?

1. Our global military presence is almost exclusively to promote peace and security. We are not engaged in combat operations or unlawful occupation of Muslim countries.

2. Ireland has historical and contemporary experience of imperial occupation. Something that gives us commonality among (former) colonised nations.

3. Our weak security is both a threat and an asset. We are susceptible to various types of asymmetric attacks. Yet, we do not unduly oppress people who reside here, minorities and extremists alike. Holding religious fundamentalist / extremist ideals are not guarantees of the intent of terrorism.

4. While Ireland has been described as a safe haven for "Jihadists", while plausible, see para 3.

5. While we are not a Muslim dominant country, Ireland in general is viewed as a religious country. While we are "unbelievers" in the extreme Islamic context, we (in general) do believe in a God, therefore "worthy" to an extent....as ridiculous as it seems.

6. Ireland has a reputation for supporting the "underdog", highlighted by support for the Palestinian territories vs Israel. That holds weight with the pan-Arab and Muslim communities.

Should we be afraid of "Jihad" directed at Ireland? no....with caveats.

It is unlikely that an organised Jihadist cell has the intent to randomly strike the Irish people, despite being the epitome of "western globalised values".

Caveats: (Islamic terrorist attacks)

1. Attacks can still occur in Ireland, targeteting other nations interests i.e. major tech companies, banks, embassy's and consulates, prominent celebrations.

2. The majority of low capability attacks in Europe have been opportunist and (hastily) disorganised. Using bladed weapons and vehicle rammings.

3. The majority have not been planned, directed, facilitated or conducted by an organised terrorist group. Yet have subsequently been claimed by same.

4. The majority of Islamic extremist attacks in Europe have been from radicalised individuals or recent Muslim converts with a variety of mental health issues.

It is unlikely to occur but if it does, it won't be because of "Jihad" or marauding terrorism like the Bataclan in Paris.....maaaaybe the Manchester Arena style, still its remote.

The Shia are very interesting. despite the current Tehran regime, they are much more open, plural, intellectual and forgiving than the Sunni(90%) majority. When one looks into the islamic golden age under the Sunni caliphate in Baghdad,, most of the scientists/philosophers were of Shia origin and culture. These are the people who have done the hard fighting against Isis, and the small number i have known as work colleagues have all been great colleagues without the bang of extremism or contempt displayed by their more numerous sunni colleagues(not all).

I would suggest they retained a lot of their Persian culture despite adopting(post conquest) the militant arab religion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

In this case that middle eastern Muslim should fk off back to the middle east and be angry at the west there, and not while living in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Or maybe the west should fk off out of the middle east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

The Northern Ireland situation is completely different and like comparing apples and oranges. The IRA/UVF were not fighting based on their different interpretations of Christianity but on a political issue of the state of N.I. Complete red herring in this conversation.

they effectively have withdrawn. from taking over the ex provinces of the Turkish and persian empires,, to leaving in the 1950s, to the withdrawal from Afghanistan and Syria. Yes there are isolated garrisons left in Irag and with permission of different middle eastern governments. The last 70 years has been effectively one big withdrawal from the middle east(and former colonies in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

As long as we don't get on the wrong side of them and piss them off we will be fine. They have an issue with the USA, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Australia UK etc. Not us.

We have to follow their rules and guidelines for media and publications under threat of jihad. They made it clear in France, Netherlands and Denmark what would happen if they don't.

IF we do as you suggest we have accepted dhimmi status and are now part of Dar al Islam. Shag that!

• Advertisement

Poster was talking as if the outcome would be different.

You must have been asleep missed the last couple of decades so, I suggest you Google what's happened in the M.E and come back to us when you have caught up.

LOL, good one. We're so tough, we already let one of them off for killing a young Japanese citizen. Fucker will probably never be reported on again and then be fucked back to Egypt for a while. Also the UK have been pointing out for at least decade now that Ireland is used for fundraising and a handy staging post.

They also have an issue with Belgium, Spain, Sweden, Norway, each other, gays, women, the people down the road, people who say an extra prayer that they don't... but sure we'll be grand I'm sure.

We are seeing a lot of terror attacks now across Europe. I am amazed that we have yet to see the same on in Ireland (thankfully!)

What's a lot? I mean if you actually look at how many attacks there have been over the last decade, it's really not that many... especially, when you use a term like Jihad in association. Honestly, I think if Europe was under attack from a genuine Jihad, we'd be seeing a hundred times as many attacks that have happened so far, but each and every year. It's not as if there is a shortage of volunteers available.

Islam is a peaceful religion at its core and islamphobia is equally something we need to consider through education, awareness and community work.

Except it's not. At it's core, it's a religion that is based off Judaism (which is quite violent/aggressive), and interpreted by a prophet who was very interested in the militant application of Religion.

Islamaphobia is just like transphobia. A catchall term used to squash any criticism of a subject regardless of whether there is fear, contempt, hatred, etc... or not. All and any criticism or concerns about Islam is considered Islamaphobia... which is just plain retarded.

We should be teaching people the history of Islam both as a religion and as a culture, and allowing people to come to their own opinions, based on facts.. which are not biased towards one viewpoint or another.

However, there a still big challenges in the Middle East which is absolutely contributing to the global unrest of extremists.

You might want to include Africa and Asia in that, since they have sizable Muslim populations, and are, in many cases, just as unstable in terms of economy, and governments.. along with civil wars, attempted genocides, etc.

The M.East needs to be left alone to sort themselves out. As long as western nations continue to dabble there, Arab nations will never have to face the need to reform their cultures, and the place of religion in their lives.

Is this something we should be concerned about in Ireland?

Terrorism? Highly unlikely. Ireland serves as an excellent place for the financing and recruitment efforts of the various groups, since the Irish government has no interest in shutting them down. Some concern should be expressed about the growth of our Muslim population, and the effect that might have on our society, and their expectations as to what should be allowed for them under the right to practice their religious beliefs. The real problem is more to do with whether a large muslim population becomes established at the bottom of the socio-economic demographics, and the social unrest that may come from second generation Muslims, but that's a problem for all religions or cultural groups.

But no, I don't think Ireland has any reason to be concerned about what happens in terms of terrorism.

Two different issues though. The first is about terrorism, and attacks made in Europe. Which is likely as a result of Western presence and activities carried out in the M.East/Africa.

The opposition to homosexuality and women's rights is cultural... and it's hardly a reason for terrorism.. since they have a wide range of far easier countries to target if that was the case. It's more of a problem for individuals wanting to make a violent gesture against such differences, but not linked to any terror group campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are we? More so than 5-10 years ago? Actually seems pretty sporadic to me. Possible that one lone nut could go on the rampage in any 'western' country I suppose, but given our small Islamic population I'd say it's pretty long odds one of these attacks will happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

A BBC journalist was asked why they digitized out the cartoon on the front page of the Charlie Hebdo when they were reporting the story.

They replied that they don't want to experience the same fate as the French journalists.

I'm sure journalists in Ireland feel the same way and are scared of it too. Freedom of expression has been taken away by the threat of jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It will happen here, sometime. In my view it’s not IF...it’s only how, where and when.

Piss easy...for example...Paddy’s day suicide attack could kill hundreds around O’Connell st... terrorists placed at each end of the street with automatic weapons taking out first responders... carnage...

Freedom of expression? Ireland has a long history of censorship, and keeping to the middle to avoid offending certain groups, often the political, or religious. I'd be rather cynical about this claim of freedom of expression considering the way Irish journalism has always been. It's not something that has been put under threat by Muslims being angry over what's printed. It's just another reason to avoid offending others.

That's not to say that I believe that Journalists should avoid printing about Islam. They should... but I don't think we've ever had the range of freedoms that you seem to suggest have been removed.

And it's not a threat of Jihad, since Jihad refers to a religious war, which is far more serious than the reactions that have happened so far to the portrayal of Mohammad. Honestly, i wonder at people's perception of scale when they equate a few individuals acting out vs an actual war where thousands are called upon to bring about "justice" (justice in their eyes, which is what a Jihad is all about)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already either tbh, the migration integration strategy in this country is not setup in a way to integrate refugees into our community.

Integration or assimilation is not the goal anymore. The goal is a "multicultural" society where migrants retain their original culture and values, because the social sciences have decreed (and been embraced by governments) that diversity is a strength. Never mind that it's failed badly everywhere it's been applied.. but it'll continue to be this way until enough countries (like Poland, Denmark, etc are doing now) start questioning the practical results of the viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wonder why it hasn't happened before .

Surely , according to yourself, it would be piss easy , wouldn't ya think a couple of Jihadis would want easy target.

Or maybe our military and Garda intelligence is too good or maybe we're not worth the effort and not prestigious enough.

Simply put there are easier and more important targets than Ireland if they wanted to commit to such a thing. France would be the prime target in Europe. Spain and Italy are both wide open to attacks, and while they have decent anti-terrorism forces (along with armed police), they're also beset with corruption and other social issues which would make them vulnerable, especially with their high migrant/refugee populations.

Fact is... I don't see any ongoing Jihads against Europe. Isolated attacks, yes. Individuals acting out, yes. But no coordinated, and properly financed groups running any kind of campaign. Look at what the IRA managed to pull off on their various campaigns in the UK... and that was at a time when the British were well prepared to respond and manage the threats involved.

If there was a serious Jihad going on, wouldn't we be seeing dozens of bombing across Europe? It wouldn't be that difficult to pull off, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Any country where it’s happened you could have said the same before the first attack.

id be happy to be wrong, I just have a feeling I’m not going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The biggest issue Christianity has relatively moved with the times ,many involved in Islam want the world to revert several centuries where Islam is the only option , which it never was in the first place ,

The EU needs to start looking at the failure of multicultural experiment and start limiting the numbers coming in ,but also look at removing protections for those who preach violence and jihad against the west or Europe in general and say sorry that **** won't be tolerated here ,if mosques are allowing extremist views or preaching they should be forced to close Until they can prove they aren't allowing extremist in

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

What religion were the two sides in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don't recall any paramilitary in the north doing anything in the name of Jesus, but you knew that already. Have another crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It is naive to think that Western interventionism is the only, or even the prinicipal cause, of Islamist terror. France, which was not involved in the Iraq war, has experienced not only the Bataclan and Charlie Hebo attacks but a whole range of other terror attacks in recent years. Plus, decapitating priests and teachers is a really odd way to demonstrate disapproval of US actions in Iraq etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

They were mostly professed Christians of various stripes. But very few said that Jesus made them do it. That's the essential point you seem to be missing.

Advertisement