Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 520d

Options
  • 17-10-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

What's the worst that goes wrong with these ? As a second family car a neighbour of mine is selling one and offered it to me for a very reasonable price.

Comments

What miles and service history? What price are you getting it for? If it's been well looked after the only thing that I can think of are the brake discs and the timing chain.

Before buying it have them get a BMW garage to do a healthcheck on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

From top to bottom:

Timing chain failure. (A pal just had new engine fitted to a 2011, BMW covered the entire cost as car had FBMWSH.)

Water ingress via passenger bulkhead and associated electrical mayhem. Very common.

Doors prone to Galvanic corrosion (rust)

Headunits can fail and are €1000+ new.

Buy on condition and history, not on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

171k (kilometers), doesn't appear to be a UK import. €11,000 would be the agreed price. I reckon he could get €12,000 if he wanted though, for 11k I'll have it.

The timing chain was done at 99k by a main dealer, it's had oil changes and brake pads replaced at main dealer to, front disks were done at an independent place fairly recently looking at the service book. Northing major mechanically appears to have been done to it. The only thing I'll say it needs is the rear tyres changed as they are probably down to 30% thread. It's a silver colour and automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

I've a 2012 the last two years, I've had no problems with it, but it did have a good service history and like yours the chain had been done. Also, being that the guy is a neighbour of yours he's unlikely to sell you a dud as you're right next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Price about right if its SE model, great value of its msport but I doubt it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

It's not an Msport. I bought it this afternoon, its a silver SE. Nice looking car in silver I must say. It has the standard wheels which I might replace with Msport ones as they look way better.

Advertisement