Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service report - Rear brake pads excessivley Scored ?

• 13-10-2021 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi all im getting a service done on a year old car, they do a vehicle report first and then ask you to approve any extra work.

One report was that the Rear brake pads were excessivley Scored and a reccommendation to replace both discs and pads.

I'm not very knowledge able on cars.

The reccomendation was amber rather than red so im wondering how important this is to do. cost is circa 400 euros

Anyone know how this happens on a year old car, is this expected ? should this be a warranty item (Probably not)

EDIT: oh as an FYI im not there, i dropped it off this morning and im on a meeting all morning so cant ring them.

Any opinions welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say it's fairly unusual for rear brake pads to be worn to the point where the discs need replacing too on an average 1 year old car. It's usually the front brakes that get most of the heavy wear first. What make/model and mileage is on the car? How many drivers are using it?

Warranty will only cover replacement parts if they are found to be defective. Brake pads and discs would be classed as consumables but again would only be replaced under warranty if they were found to be defective from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Has the car been sitting idle for extended periods in the past year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Depends on the mileage.

Volvo's are known to have extensive wear on rear pads and disks due to the electronic parking break setup . It's very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I'm guessing that's some sort of Hybrid or EV? Brakes are used so little in these the pad doesn't actually hit the surface of the disc long enough or hard enough to remove the surface rust and it gradually reduces the braking area . To answer your question, you don't need to replace anything and I doubt it would be covered under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Hi thanks for the inputs, for the record its a bit over a year old peugeot 5008 with 15,000km on it. it wouldnt have been left idle that often and only myself and the wife driving it.

When i went to collect it they said that it would wait till the next service in a years time which kinda makes a mock of the "amber" warning id expect that to mean has to be done in the next 3 months.

WE didnt go with it anyway so all good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd look at getting those discs skimmed. I can be done, and without them getting removed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I wouldn't be bothered skimming them, you're only doing yourself out of some of the usability of the disc and additional cost on a 1 year old car.

They didn't recommend you replace them, but IMO they done right to flag it for the sake of the cars service history.

Check them again next year. They look like they would clean up with some driving, nothing excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

400 is a rip off for rear discs and pads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Can be done alright but a few years ago when I was thinking of doing my back discs I was quoted €25 each (not sure what they would be now). I bought new discs online from Mister-Auto for just under €35 each so unless you've very expensive discs with little wear it's not really economical to skim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wouldn't replace or skim those. The replacements will soon be in a similar condition. I've seen that sort of thing but considerably worse on my own cars' rear disks. The rear brakes always get rustier than the fronts and I usually end up replacing them before the fronts. Also the rears are more expensive on mine as the rear disks have an integrated wheel bearing.

I think the rears generally get too little work to do, don't heat up enough which causes rusting, scoring and sometimes sticking. I'd go as far as to say that brake drums might be a better setup on the rear of a non performance car. I have a 23 year old car that is still on its original drums and shoes only about 90k miles done though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement