Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Log cabin

Options
  • 15-10-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, apologies if this question has been asked here before but I have always found that boards can be a good source for information for this kind of thing.

I'm looking to build a log cabin on my land to live in. A fairly simple two bedroom one would be fine for what I'd need. I know planning would be needed as would a septic tank and electric and water connection, aswell as a thin foundation.

I was just wondering what kind of money it would be to get one finished. I'd also be curious about how long one would last if it was maintained properly over the years. I live in the west so would dealing with westerly winds and possibly storms during the winter so I'd assume it would need to be in a fairly well sheltered area? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I'll save you a lot of time here. Are you in a financial position to build a regular bricks and mortar home ? To be compliant with building regs, the cost will be similar one way or another...

Timber frame will last a lifetime. Many now clad them in composite materials and use pvc windows and doors etc...

If it's a shorter term measure, putting a mobile home on your land might be the better option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

If you are on Facebook or instagram, che k out cjjoinery, they operate in Dublin. Seek to have 25sq m garden rooms up in a matter of days... like 2-3!!!

Advertisement