Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High end decathlon road bikes ie. Van rysel opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Dura ace, fulcrum racing zero carbon wheels. That's about 3 and a half grand already and you've a free frame, handlebars, saddle, bar tape... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

They only have it in XS

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Im going to start saving for a bike. I will get 1500 for my yoke as it has a set of hunt carbons on it plus my cycle to work is due. Im getting ideas now but it will be a few months yet. I really like these bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Does look like the 3500 is sell off price for the last one.

4050 looks like the usual price.

Seems like a bargain now until it comes to the cost of replacing Dura Ace stuff. You could ask if you really need a bike with Dura Ace but if you've got it spend imo it but bear it in mind all the same.

• Advertisement

Another model there thats slightly different. Im just after something different from the usual giants, treks, cubes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

If you’re after something unique(ish) Van Rysel is not the one. They’re one of the most generic frames on the market; picked from a catalogue, manufactured, and given the Van Rysel paint job.

Similar to Planet X and Ribble in that regard

I wouldn't let that put you off, however. The fact that they’re mass produced (many brands will be marketing the same frame) means that there’s thousands already in the field and they’re affordable. The design is solid, if not the most modern, and you won’t run into the issues like those plaguing SL7 owners at present...

Yeah i seen that with the sl7s. https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/why-specializeds-tarmac-sl7-recall-provides-an-important-lesson/

Specialized bikes tend to be on the pricey side for what they are.

Nobody has replied to the thread that actually owns a high spec van rysel which is odd considering they are sold out everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe no one has one because they can't be had. they might not be sold out as much as they're not brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I don't have one either but I live in France where there are quite a few of them. The only thing I'd say is that I often see the frames up for sale as it's a good deal on the components - judging by how long they seem to take to sell I'd consider them very low value (not saying there is anything wrong with them - just that no one wants to buy it as a bare frame)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I saw one of the previous generation in Wicklow one day before they moved to Van Reysel branding. I think they were selling them off to clear the deck for rebranding. Was black with pink and blue accent paint job and looked fantastic with DA group sets and top quality wheels (might have been Carbon Mavics) and finishing kit. I don’t know what the frame rode like but looked really good and was amazing value considering just the components.

The wheels were actually Zipp 404's iirc. It was an extraordinary deal. Nice looking frame too if you ask me.

It's frankly nothing short of a joke that Specialized et al charge 11,000 euro for the same components on one of their stamped-out-in-Asia carbon frames.

Yes, you’re right the wheels were Zipps.

I think it was mechanical DA and I can’t remember exactly but the bike price was something like 2.5k.

I saw on some boards that Specialized increased the price of top Tarmac from $11.5k to $14k when the new SL7 came in.

Just to add that there’s a fantastic looking deal on a TCR in the classifieds section here for less money in case of interest…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice looking bike in blue (don't get the black) and perhaps one of the few brands/models that has not gone up in price during or since Covid. Not suggesting it's a steal but looking at what's around it for the same money wouldn't fill you with any kind of fervour would it?

Not really a decent upgrade over a Defy in my book though. You're already 95% of the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Using lightweight as your main criteria might not be the best way to proceed.

Bike will probably cost 4k and you might get 1.5k for your own. So 2.5K to lose 2.5kg.

With that you will have a bike which is pretty expensive to maintain and which you will hate to ride in the wet; hearing those lovely light rims screeching in the wet won't be pleasant.

A cassette for example

Your current bike is a way better proposition for all year round use in Ireland. Ride it more, ride it for longer, eat better and drop the 2.5kgs for free..

Before you do any of the above ask yourself are you into bikes or are you into cycling?

Id be fairly fit and slim as it is. I train kickboxing twice a week and would cycle 4 days a week. I like bikes too though and always like a change every now and again. Really like the look of the van rysels. And being honest, i dont like disc brakes at all.

Post edited by byrnem31 on

2.5kg drop in bike weight is not a weight shaving, it's a weight machete-ing!!!

It is absolutely worth it imo and will be a colossal improvement compared to your old bike.

I currently have an endurance for long distance and ive done 4 hour 100klm cycles on it but its rare i get the time to do those. Ive 3 kids, 2 have disabilities and she works nights and weekends some times. I live in tallaght beside the mountains so id love something light and quick for the hills. So i can fly out for an hour and still maintain a decent level of fitness as hills are much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

"Before you do any of the above ask yourself are you into bikes or are you into cycling?"

Doesn't one go with the other ?😁

Two things that dont belong on road bikes, tubeless and disc brakes. That's just my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I own the ultra cf dura ace van Rysel. No complaints so far after about 2000km. For the components, much cheaper than competitors and the quality is the same.

I was riding a felt entry level road bike for nearly a decade before upgrading. The only downside of the van Rysel, for me, is it’s a fairly aggressive frame compared to my old bike. Uncomfortable until the body got a bit more used to it. Other than that I don’t have any complaints, really good bike.

Thank you for the feedback. Whats it like on harsh roads? Is there much road buzz and does it get uncomfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Any open mould carbon frame can be a candidate for road buzz. Not sure what the finishing kit is like on the VR but from pics it looks lower grade that the components, so that's perhaps an opportunity to really customise it. I wonder can the frame take a high-end (but generic) seatpost for example?

28mm tyres, if they fit, will surely sort out any buzz. nice looking frame and I've yet to see one around the roads here - albeit not out as often anymore.

Edit - gotta be the Ultra RCR of the two shown, but sadly just S or XL left it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Can't say I've noticed any road buzz and I'm generally on back roads so in that regard it is pretty good. I run 25mm tyres. Any discomfort I have is from the more aggressive position on the bike but that is in part due to my own lack of flexibility. I own the RCR bike.

In my experience and my own search, I didn't find anything close in Ireland in terms of cost/quality. Did I need that level of spec on the bike? Probably not and I could switch out to ultegra rather than dura-ace without any noticeable difference but that's more a reflection of me as a cyclist. It's a fun bike, I'm trying to play devil's advocate here but there's really nothing wrong with it and it's a great option.

Expensive replacement parts isn't so important, in my opinion, because you can replace with what you want so long as it is compatible, if the wheels become well used I don't necessarily need to drop €2k on a carbon wheelset. Any bike you will want to own, based on your current bike, will have relatively expensive replacement parts I think.

Advertisement